dima39

Packing tandem rigs - how fast/how many?

I use a canopy hanger and like um with four hooks, hang four at a time, flake and drop um, wrap um bag um one after the other, I also do inspections on the full rig as I go, takes about 45 mins to an hour fro all four depending on what shit needs fixing along the way. I can do it all day long. TI's and myself like the openings they/I get, no need to be in a hurry about it.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

stratostar

I use a canopy hanger and like um with four hooks, hang four at a time, flake and drop um, wrap um bag um one after the other, I also do inspections on the full rig as I go, takes about 45 mins to an hour fro all four depending on what shit needs fixing along the way. I can do it all day long. TI's and myself like the openings they/I get, no need to be in a hurry about it.

Thanks for answer!
Packing "on hook" i saw once in Belgium. One of the reason they use this method - place is ex-military airfield/hangar, so they need/obligated to pack tandem (Sigmas) and student rigs in "military style"/on hook in separated area with 2 steel cords and hooks. A little easier for inspection and you don't need to keep big canopies on your shoulder.
Sport rigs were packed in "common way" on the floor.

May I suggest laying the (flaked) canopy on the ground, then covering it with a square yard (square metre) of thick carpet to squeeze the air out while you flake the second canopy?
Even better are the perferated heavy rubber mats used in machine shops.
  • Like 1

yes 2 in 15 min. with out cutting corners all day.I use a hook for tandems as I am only 5'8" and when it is over my shoulder the tail is resting on the ground which prevents the weight of the canopy from keeping the lines taunt. I also use the rubber mats to take the air out of the canopy while I flake another for both tandems and sport rigs.

Hi dima,

not everywhere you can found this thick carpet/mat

I have a couple that I use in my garage. I do not recall where I bought them; but it was local.

Here is a start:

https://www.uline.com/Grp_36/Anti-Fatigue-Mats?pricode=WF377&AdKeyword=standing%20mat&AdMatchtype=p&gclid=CjwKEAiA94nCBRDxismumrL83icSJAAeeETQuSh-UskWNbkhBOIWqGvpz_Lmd1SWhJd-WeN1t5epghoCsxDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jerry Baumchen

Depends on the dz. @ oceanside Tsunami/go jump you have to wait for the bus to bring the TI's back so on the shorter winter days usually about 40 to 50 split between 2 packers @ Elsinore on long summer days They usually have more than 1 packer so they are split up so usually about 35. In Sweden was no problem to do 40 to 50.

Most of the time I was packing sigmas/Icarus. Drogues were attached but no setting the brakes. In Sweden the TI's own the equipment and usually only have 1 rig. They have to walk about 500 yards out to meet the plane so the TI's need the rigs sooner,so we usually only had 15 min calls not 20.

Myself and one of the other packers timed ourselves as we packed at the same time and both did 7 min 20 seconds

We have a few guys at my home DZ that can pack a strong tandem in 5-7 min all day long, they usually do two at at time. flake a lay out one and use a mat to squeeze air out while starting number two. So yes two in 15 min is very doable.

And what really amazes me, it how good the opening are for pack jobs that get done so fast!. When I pack fast (10 min for 1) I usually get not so great openings. But these guys give good openings all day everyday.......

Oh and no hanging hooks either.

And what really amazes me, it how good the opening are for pack jobs that get done so fast!. When I pack fast (10 min for 1) I usually get not so great openings. But these guys give good openings all day everyday.......
---------------------------------------------------

Packing fast requires focussing on the "must dos" and not wasting time on trivialities.
It als means having all your tools: sandbag, pack boy, carpet square, etc. within arms' reach and a handful of rubber bands in your sock.

I know some packers who can pack 100+ sport rigs in one day, but not on regular basis all month long. So i was interesting to know same info about packing tandems, "regular day" and "super intensive day" a how it's possible to improve it.
Regular 30-40 pack jobs, intensive 50-70?