Fall0ut

GoPro "The Strap" handmount.. experiences?

Hi,
anybody using GoPro's own handmount "The Strap" for tandem handcam and willing to share experiences about quality and durability?
Or what would you recommend over it at a similar price tag for a Hero5 black? I like the idea of the Floydie Swivel mount because it's snag-free, but it's pretty expensive and looks like it will fall apart quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Strap-Wrist-Mount-Official/dp/B00ZHDRHAG

In my experience, any camera mounted that close to your hand will get way too much of your hand, wrist and arm in the shot (filling as much as 1/3 the frame depending how much inside bend of elbow and outside bend of wrist you are able to fly with). I've gotten world's better results when elevating the center-point of the camera lenses a few inches above my hand.

I started with a dual-session pivot pad because I'd never done handcam and was worried about snag potential; and this seemed nice and low-profile. But the angle was shit. Soon modified the glove, and the results have been stellar. And I've found (as many before me have with bigger cams and taller mounts) zero issues with snagging, handle checks, breakaways (on the one actual I've done with handcam), or interference flying or landing the canopy (ymmv).

My opinion is the GoPro glove pictured is nowhere near stable and secure enough, nor positions the camera high enough to give you good results.

* Edited to add:

Since I took that photo of my modified glove, I've added some small bits of industrial strength velcro to sides of the cams and the locking mechanisms of the GoPro camera mounts. After a few hundred no-issue handcam jumps, I had a couple of jumps in quick succession where students would accidentally unlatch the left-side session box as I was handing them the toggles, and the damn camera promptly fell out.

Luckily sessions only cost $200, but still, it was pretty annoying, and easily fixed once I was aware of the potential.

Looks like a snag hazard to me. Every TI at my dz jumps a cilustom made glove that they made or a rigger/friend sold them. The part that encloses the camera is a combination of clear plastic, cutouts for the lens and buttons, velcro (to let the camera in/out) and fabric. Tight fit is key, adjustable angle (using different wrist strap location options) is great, no snag hazard is a must.

I dont like the snag points on that mount. It looks like it would the camera would flop around unless the strap was extremely tight. if it had a bigger base on it it would be more stable but, it would adding more snag points to it.
I bought some pivot pads for the tandem masters and cases for the hero cameras. we may make some minor alterations to them such as sewing a atlimasterIII to the back of the pivot pad so they can have altimeter on their camera hand.
The pivot pad may cost more but it is very smartly designed not to have any snag points. If you change camera systems an new mount can be bolted on to the pad.

Don't jump that.

That thing is a POS, and the price shouldn't be your consideration when you are concerned with safety first and quality video or stills product second.

As mentioned it is a snag risk, and it will get too much of your arm in the shot.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

This is the best session on the market, I've tried two. Same Company that made my glove for the GoPro 3 and 4
http://www.chutingstar.com/camera/skydive-video-gear/skydiver-hand-mounts/horizontal-dual-gopro-session-lightweight-pivot-pad-handcam-glove-system

Can you please post pictures with the original setup and with your modifications please?
I have seen the problem you mention when the mount is too close to the hand and I was just curious to see the actual results you got.

Contact Chris Warnick. He makes the best gloves in the business. Also stands behind them. i have over 6500 handcams and use only has gloves after going through everything out there. His gloves are sold by every single dealer but I choose to deal direct with him.

Chris Warnick

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

douwanto

Contact Chris Warnick. He makes the best gloves in the business. Also stands behind them. i have over 6500 handcams and use only has gloves after going through everything out there. His gloves are sold by every single dealer but I choose to deal direct with him.

Chris Warnick

I second that. Chris is awesome, and his pivot pad handicam gloves are excellent.

My double GoPro 3+ glove is top notch, and I like having access to all of the buttons on the camera. I never liked having to use one-button like you have to with the other gloves.
=P

megamalfunction

I have one but haven't jumped it yet.

Knock yourself out, but anyone who uses this is a jackass if they have a tandem passenger along with you.

There is no reason to add snags to a tandem when there are better options readily available.
=P