sky4meplease

Sitting on TI lap during climb-Creepy?

There is a few things here that would turn on the creepy feeling.
First I am 6.2 and weight about 215lbs.
They don't sit on my lap the whole ride up, just the last 1000ft for about 10 seconds to tighen up the laterals and then they are back to the floor.
The reason I sit them on my lap is to reduce the amount of work put into tightening laterals. It is so much easier to tighten the laterals when they are on "on my legs" (rather than lap) and after the are tight they are back to the floor.
Normally if I didn't sit them on my legs my shoulders would be kind of sore at the end of day after 5-6 tandems, and since I started to make them sit on my legs I can do 10 tandem+ in a day with out any problems.

crazydaisy315

Not gonna lie that I was turned on so much at that moment! But I'm a pervert, so me getting turned on so easily really isn't a shocker. :P Does that make it extra creepy?

Funny you mentioned that, but I've heard several women talk about being highly aroused on jump run, esp. on early jumps. The sensation of fear and anxiety are closely tied to sexual arousal. I guess that's why scary movies are so popular for dates and why some many skydiver guys marry way out of their league. :D

No, you're not a bit creepy. :)

ShotterMG

There is no need to have a student sit on your lap to hook up. Never. On any plane.

My favorite is a Caravan with straddle benches. Easiest hookup there is. On the floor is another easy, no sit-on-the-lap hook up.

In a Twin Otter with typical bench seats, you CAN turn sideways and have them sit on the bench between your legs for hookup, IF, IF you have enough room. I rarely have that luxury, so up on my lap the passenger goes, male, female, skinny, huge. . . :S.

With up to 7-8 layers of clothing, it's hardly erotic. Usually I'm just getting squished. :P

ssm

I have done 1500 Tandem form C182's I have never had the need for a student do sit on my lap. I am 6ft, 200pd

......................................................................................

Cabin width makes a huge difference. In the old, narrow-bodied Cessnas (170, 180, 182 and 185) I avoid the co-pilot's position because it is too tight to hook side-straps when the door is closed.
OTOH when doing tandems from wide-bodied Cessnas (172, 182, 205, 206, 207 and 210) I have enough elbow room to hook (and tighten) side-straps easily.
I am also 6 feet tall and ..... um ........ er ........ slightly over 200 pounds.

When on my knees, I don't have any problem hooking them up or tightening the laterals.

I was just saying that if the yoke(on the right side) is still in the plane, then I tend to push on it, especially while getting their feet out. So if the yoke is there then I will hook up while seated. Then if they are big and I am having trouble getting around the sides, I will have them sit on my lap.

Thanks for pointer though. That is how I was taught, and is still my preferred method when in the front of a 182.

I do find that weird. And as to why anyone would want someone sitting in their lap for a 20 minute ride up is beyond me. The 3 minutes it takes to hook up is plenty to make my legs to numb.

I've got about 2000 tandems or so out of a narrow body 182, I prefer a forward kneeing exit, but after many many tandems doing that, I finally gave in and started doing some sitting exits from the "old man slot" with smaller people to give the knees a break. You have to hook up the laterals before the door closes but they don't get put in my lap until the laterals need to be tightened. I don't have much experience with wide body 182s, few hundred jumps at most, many, many tandems ago.

Your statement might be true if you don't care about shitty loose hookups and don't mind having the student floating around on you.
Sometimes it is the only way to get a proper hookup.
There is no reason to have a student sit on your lap from take off to exit. 182 I almost always have students sit on my lap at hookup. Navajo same unless I get on my knees.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

JohnMitchell

The down-side is that the old man always gets the largest student.

Well that's just wrong. >:(:D

I still take big people, but I don't take HUGE people anymore. And at some DZs I don't do fat fees, which means no one over 199. [

.................................................................................

Agreed.
I took the biggest, heaviest, clumsiest students until my hair turned grey. My hair turned grey after that King Air crash. ...... hair colour ...... and strength changed because some wounds never fully-healed.

riggerrob

In Canada, the "old man's seat" is sitting behind the pilot, facing aft. In the OMS, I have plenty of width to clip side hooks and spread my knees while tightenin side straps.
The down-side is that the old man always gets the largest student.

My apologies, I thought it was the firewall seat. My statements were for the firewall seat. The behind the pilot seat has plenty of room to hook up.

humanflite

What is the reasoning for leaving the yoke on the co-pilot side?

It can be removed, or installed, in about 3 minutes.

................................................................................

Removing the yoke is a complex job requiring an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer's (A&P in the USA) knowledge, because if you remove too many parts, controls jam.

Just enjoyed lunch with Doug Scott - old-school skydiver, old-school jump-pilot and long-time Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (A&P to you Yankees). Doug said that some Cessna's are easy to remove co-pilot yokes from .... while others jam if you remove too many parts.