skydiverek

NEW Sigma manual

So, I am an old military guy who used checklists and emergency procedures as a part of my USMC aviator experience. The changes were usually explained by checklist and owners manual (NATOPS) in my experience and any change was highlighted. Looking at the decision tree in the updated manual, there is no indication of what has changed. This could lead to another fatal mistake. How about a highlighted change page, Bill Booth, so we don't have to guess what you changed with our limited intelligence.?
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

I believe there is no change in EPs from the old manual to new manual, hence no revision list for EPS. How could no revision list to an unchanged set of procedures lead to a fatal mistake?

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

AdD

Anyone else think it might be useful to have a written section on unusual situations? Strut hang-up, cameraman entangled with drogue, etc. ?

If there were some way to harness a Tom Noonan UPT seminar from a PIA convention, including all the Q&A afterwards, I think most any scenario would be covered. The videos accompanying his presentation make it feel so real, as if you were experiencing the mal yourself. But now there's a pause button and a narrator.

parachutist

***Anyone else think it might be useful to have a written section on unusual situations? Strut hang-up, cameraman entangled with drogue, etc. ?

If there were some way to harness a Tom Noonan UPT seminar from a PIA convention, including all the Q&A afterwards, I think most any scenario would be covered. The videos accompanying his presentation make it feel so real, as if you were experiencing the mal yourself. But now there's a pause button and a narrator.

Like this? (some videos redacted though)
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

cpoxon

******Anyone else think it might be useful to have a written section on unusual situations? Strut hang-up, cameraman entangled with drogue, etc. ?

Like this? (some videos redacted though)

That's a start, but it doesn't compare to being there with a big screen view of the situations being described.

kawisixer01

******cameraman entangled with drogue

This one is covered there.

And it's complete rubbish.
Why do you think it's rubbish? What do you believe the proper response to a jumper entangled with your drogue should be?

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

djmarvin

*********cameraman entangled with drogue

This one is covered there.

And it's complete rubbish.
Why do you think it's rubbish? What do you believe the proper response to a jumper entangled with your drogue should be?

While I think the chaos of the situation may require some quick thinking and adaptive behavior/actions at the time, any other pre-plans seem to be frought with greater danger... as a plan getting rid of the entabled bridle/drougue/main AND falling/tracking clear of the mess does seem like a good idea.
I would not want to be the entangled vidiot... but I'm not sure what the TI could to that wouldn't make it worse for all three of them...

Open to additional ideas if you have one.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...