SKYCAM

Tandems and C208 on floats

OK, need info & guidance from my peers.

Have been asked to explore the logistics of using a C208 with floats for a beachside tandem operation.

Before everyone gets uppity about taking off on water without a door, we would be using a regular runway.

My initial thoughts is, that it would pretty hectic to miss the float on just about any exit, but am interested in hearing about anyone using a similar setup successfully.

Cheers, Ralph

About a decade ago, I was asked to write a business model for a Cessna 206 on floats.
We quickly concluded that the extra weight of floats would reduce payload, limiting us us to only carry 2 tandems at a time and zero video.

Fortunately, your Caravan has a much higher payload, so will be more flexible .... hopefully more profitable.

The other question was: how to exit?
We never did figure that out.
Previously, experienced skydivers have climbed down the steps and stood on the floats. .... but we cannot ask tandem students to do exits that complicated.
The second suggestion was to strap some form of net or slide between the door sill and the outboard edge of the float. In theory, you just tumble out the door and slide past the float. ???????

Wistfully ...... What we really needed was a Fairchild Husky (on floats) - with a canoe-sized hatch under the tail. Unfortunately, the last Husky last dropped skydivers during the 1980s.
Sad!

I still think that the business model should include launching from a yacht club, marina or beach resort to entice the widest range of tourists.

Good luck on your project.
Please report how you succeeded.

riggerrob

The second suggestion was to strap some form of net or slide between the door sill and the outboard edge of the float.

I would love to take a slide to exit, that sounds like fun!:D

May be a bit of drag though.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

The second suggestion was to strap some form of net or slide between the door sill and the outboard edge of the float.

I would love to take a slide to exit, that sounds like fun!:D

May be a bit of drag though.

...........:................:...................

Yes,
Choosing the correct netting is a challenge.
Netting should be as slippery as Teflon
Holes should be too small to snag a finger, but numerous enough to still allow air to flow so freely that it does not affect stability.

I'm awaiting you guys getting FAA approval on something. The level of awesome of a shore-based Tandem operation is pretty amazing. For obvious reasons, the floats extend aft of the cargo door on all float planes. If you could submit for a bomb-bay door mod you're on the right track.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

I'm awaiting you guys getting FAA approval on something. The level of awesome of a shore-based Tandem operation is pretty amazing. For obvious reasons, the floats extend aft of the cargo door on all float planes. If you could submit for a bomb-bay door mod you're on the right track.

Just have to get approval to relocate those pesky control cables. Then it's a go!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Speculating .....
Caravans, Kodiaks, Porters, etc. fly on floats.
Many Caravans and Kodiaks also fly with belly panniers full of luggage.

Some Porters have Bombay doors in the middle of the cabin floor, but you still need to fall past the spreader bars, cables, etc.
Is the Porter's hatch wide enough to drop a tandem?

Kodiaks can bolt both floats and luggage panniers underneath.
What if you cut a canoe-sized hatch in the back end of the Kodiak's luggage pannier?
Would the canoe-hatch be aft of the rear spreader-bar?
How much paperwork to cut an extra hatch in an after-market luggage pannier?
Is there enough headroom to stuff a few tandems in the Caravan/Kodiak luggage pannier?
What if you replace the luggage doors with Plexiglas windows?
Could you charge extra for the "panorama view" during the climb to altitude?

What if the luggage pannier only concealed a hinged ramp .... and the ramp was just long enough to rest of the aft spreader-bar?
How much paperwork to cut an extra hatch in a Caravan or Kodiak's floor?
Where do tail control cables run in a Caravan or Kodiak (floor or ceiling)?

gowlerk

***I'm awaiting you guys getting FAA approval on something. The level of awesome of a shore-based Tandem operation is pretty amazing. For obvious reasons, the floats extend aft of the cargo door on all float planes. If you could submit for a bomb-bay door mod you're on the right track.

Just have to get approval to relocate those pesky control cables. Then it's a go!

Details, details...
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher