atmosphair

Tandem Reserve Comparison

I jumped PD360 reserves back when they were fashionable as mains. Hated the way PD360s opened in a stall. Also hated the way a steering toggle could jam on the end of an L-Bar connector link. After you got the steering line clear, you needed LOTS of arm muscle to flare.

I often wondered why Vector/Sigma never added an extra steering guide ring (level with the L-bar) to eliminate jammed steering lines????????

I have packed a few Angelfire 400 reserves into Racer Tandems.
This year I have repacked Next 372, PD360, Strong 425 and Precision 350 reserves for local DZs.
Precision reserves have more modern oval, metal connector links that save a little weight and eliminate one type of malfunction (jammed steering line).
My most recent "save" was on a Precision 350 reserve. The young TI said that it "flew like shit!" He did not complain about a rock-and-roll opening or toggle pressure. Keep in mind that was his very first (virgin) reserve ride and his main mount was an elliptical Icarus 330.

As an aside, I made a thousand jumps on Strong, rectangular, F-111 425 and 520 canopies when they were fashionable as mains. I also have about 20 rides on Strong 425 reserves. Both fly okay, but I much prefer SET400 mains. The new tapered Strong reserve (based on SET 366) looks way better.

yeh I'd agree with that. Precision turned 5 minutes after you gave an input. PD opened in a stall. Both landed well and did what they were designed to do. One has a continuos line set, the other doesn't and one connects with L bars one doesn't; pro's and cons to both. Know what's in the upper half of your container

I have had only 3 cutaway/reserve rides on tandem since 1988. 1 on 360 and 2 on 375 VR. I knew how they flew since we jumped them as mains for 3 to 5 jumps before packing as reserves. I now have additional rig of Racer, like it since reserve is same size as the main. It has had 2 reserve openings with previous owner. No problems. Yes, I prefer straight line reserves and can handle the toggle pressure. I would always want a proven tested reserve instead of performance light toggle pressure in emergency situation.
Rule #1 of Skydiving: Safely Land An Open Parachute!