douwanto

Tandem passengers made to pay to pull the ripcord

Has anyone else seen this bullshit company (http://www.paragon-skydive.com/) ?? Charging Tandem Students $50 to deploy the parachute. I think this is the biggest scam in skydiving today right up there with weather insurance at DC Skydiving Center and skyride..

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Hee!
Hee!
Do you know how many students throw ripcords away?
Tossed MIL SPEC ripcords used to be expensive ($100.).

Do you know expensive modern ripcords (tandem drove release handles are)?

Strong charges $25 for simple drogue release handles.

This marketing scam is more about selling souvenir ripcord handles. If the student throws away their souvenir .... that is their problem .... but manifest will cheerfully sell them a shiny new souvenir!!!!!!!

The long-term solution is installing the modern bungee-retractable drogue release handles as installed on Sigma or post-2000 String tandems.

In the day when they were not attached to the container maybe but today most are attached and charging a student to do something they are supposed to be trained to do on every tandem is unethical in my opinion.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

When a drogue release handle is attached to the instructor's right leg pad it simulates pulling a BOC.
Right leg pad is standard on Sigmas and I have sewed extra buckles onto leg pads of a few dozen Strong Dual Hawks.
If the DR incorporates a bungee cord, then it becomes a reasonable simulator to teach throwing a BOC pilot-chute.

According to the Strong TNT manual, it has a pair of drogue release handles, both on the right main lift web.

The student's drogue release may be attached to the student harness. The manual does not include a picture.

The instructor's drogue release handle is still co-located with the cutaway handle ... a good thing because it remedies one possible finger-malfunction: pulling the cutaway handle record drogue release.

As for the "proper location" my bias is still towards the instructor's right leg pad (ala. Sigma) so that it simulates a BOC.

tkhayes

"Priority boarding" extra $25.

"What is priority boarding?"

When your turn comes sir, you will be the first one on the plane"

"Cool, I'm in - here's my $25"

It's called capitalism

Commercial aviation? If so, I am a complete dipshit. I thought you were talking about priority boarding for tandem passengers in jump planes…

douwanto

Has anyone else seen this bullshit company (www.paragon-skydive.com/)? Charging Tandem Students $50 to deploy the parachute. ...

But Chris, that includes instruction on canopy control too! It takes soooooo... long to teach them that. And an altimeter would be required to know when to pull. My gosh, the expense of providing that, and the time it would take to train them! $50 is a bargain.

You know they aren't issuing them an altimeter, that is the 100 dollar upgrade Gary.

For 50 dollars you only get your tandem master waving his hands in front of your face before he beats you to the pull. :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

peek

But Chris, that includes instruction on canopy control too! It takes soooooo... long to teach them that. And an altimeter would be required to know when to pull. My gosh, the expense of providing that, and the time it would take to train them! $50 is a bargain.

Jesus. I thought you were joking. From their website:

EXTREME EXTRAS
Only for real thrill seekers…. Pull and fly your own parachute!
At Paragon we offer you the chance to pull your own tandem parachute and fly it, all with the safety of your tandem instructor behind you. You will be given training on the ground on the procedures of pulling the parachute and steering methods before taking to the sky to experience this thrill.
Please note that you will be attached to your tandem instructor the entire time and flying the parachute is only possible for a portion of your flight, the USPA qualified tandem instructors will take over to complete the descent and landing and may need to take over due to weather conditions and any other unforeseen circumstances.
Available at a discount as part of the Extreme Canyon Experience package or as an optional add-on to the Naked Skydive
Add-On: $50

Wow. They claim they use USPA rated instructors, but if they DON'T teach this stuff to all students, and for the sole reason that the student didn't pay enough; I'm not sure those guys are fulfilling the duty of their ratings. Tandem skydiving can be commercialized, for sure — and one look at their prices made my head spin at how aggressively they think they can do that ...

NAKED SKYDIVE
Tandem Skydive
Certificate of Achievement
(the skydive is naked, not you)
$299

SKYDIVE AND SHARE THE MEMORIES
Canyon Experience
Tandem Skydive
Photos & Video on USB
$439

THRILL SEEKER
Extreme Experience
Tandem Skydive
Photos & Video on USB
Extreme Extras
Paragon Skydive T-Shirt
$479

... but this is about one step removed from charging extra for seatbelts (and refusing to buckle them for the cheapskates) or RSLs. One wonders if this dropzone even provides goggles, or do they only sell them?

WANNA SEE THE COOL VIEW?
Buy our special Skydiving Goggles!
Keep your eyes from tearing up and ruining your vision!
Only $50 when added to our top-of-the-line THRILL SEEKER Package!

Long standing joke with tandem students....

While they almost never ask about your qualifications, they tend to be obsessed with "their" goggles. Repeatedly asking "Where are my goggles?"
"Did you buy the goggle package or rent a pair?"
:P

http://www.skydivemontereybay.com/skydive/pricing/

Priority boarding and the rest of the "VIP package" adds $140 to the cost of a tandem jump!!! Good grief.

When are they going to sell business class or first class jumpship seating?

And a special airport/DZ lounge for those who fly up front?

Where does the fleecing stop?

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

People still pay to send a text message (check out its origins for the inside perspective).

The customer has a different perspective from the insider. We all get mocked by many an industry that we don't have time to be well-versed in.

When other DZ's are dealing with discounts, competition and groupon deals. They seem to be in a world of their own.

IMO if they can get away with it, its called capitalism. There are people with lots of money and perhaps the San Francisco/San Jose market has insufficient competition. According to the advertising poster they are the "best value tandem skydives" and you get a free t-shirt if you bring a group of 12 to pay $419 for the VIP package.

Jumped there once, years ago.

I was traveling at the time and told them I had everything but goggles, helmet, and an altimeter. Asked if I could rent equipment. They said no problem. It would be $5.

That sounded good.

They said per item. Per jump. I wore sunglasses and rented an altimeter.

I asked about packing areas. They said they had indoor packing. Again, sounded good. They said there was an admission fee. I packed outside.

They never met a fee they didn't like.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

flyhi

Jumped there once, years ago.

I was traveling at the time and told them I had everything but goggles, helmet, and an altimeter. Asked if I could rent equipment. They said no problem. It would be $5.

That sounded good.

They said per item. Per jump. I wore sunglasses and rented an altimeter.

I asked about packing areas. They said they had indoor packing. Again, sounded good. They said there was an admission fee. I packed outside.

They never met a fee they didn't like.

Are you sure it's the same place? These guys just opened up, as skydiving iver the Gac hasn't previously been allowed. And they din't allow funjumpers, either.
If it's a different place can you let me know where so I don't go there?