cacrinklaw

Double Amputee

Does anyone have experience with a double leg amputee? Is there a special harness or special rigging to use? We recently were asked if it would be possible to take a gentleman with both legs missing. I don't have all the specifics on where the legs are amputated. I was hoping to have some answers for him. I have taken several paraplegics in the past and one amputee just below the knee but nothing on this scale. Thanks for any info/advice anyone can give me.

Due to the variations on amputations there is almost no way to discern what is needed until you meet the individual in person. Your best bets for specific harnessing info are the TI's that have done a variety of handicapped. Jim Wallace and Jay Stokes both come to mind.

Yes, talk to Jay Stokes about his special tandem pants.

The biggest variable is how much femurs the guy still has. If his femurs are intact (e.g. amputation below the knees) regular harness will do. The shorter his femurs, the greater the risk of him falling out butt-first. Tightening the Y-strap definitely helps keep his butt in the harness.

Contact BOTH USPA Safety and Training and the gear manufacturer. That's the absolute bottom line on getting the best information.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I recommend you personally asses the student and let them know you will need to seek guidance and assistance in the jump. Once you have assessed them then you will have a better idea of their limitations and needs are. Then you can seek the best solution for their jump. Jay Stoke is the Best Resource available in the US also your S&TA and there are others and of course the manufacture.... I always take photos as well so there is no miscommunication when seeking guidance and solutions.

JM2C

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421