cloud9

Just curious

Hey guys I'm a little curious. I just ordered a used rig ( new to me) from Action air a reputable dealer. The rig will come to me packed. Now here is the question. Would you jump it like that or would you pull and look? (on the ground) It will have a new reserve pack and the same rigger will pack the main. Just food for thought. Its not here yet so your comments will highly considered. Thank in advance.
Don't ever quit
Larry

Hi Larry,
Personally, I'd be very tempted to open the main . Not out of any mistrust on my part, but rather to see how it was packed, & to practise packing it myself some before I get to the DZ (the pride of having a new rig can diminish if you have to struggle with it for an hour to repack after your first jump on it).
Mike D10270.

Larry,
I agree with Mike, while the reserve is repacked by a rigger, it is a FAA regulation that requires documentation on the repack. As far as the main, there is nothing that specifies or documents the pack job. Personnally, I would pull it out, inpect it for myself, and repack it. This way you would know what is going to be over your head at pull time.

Larry
Quite a co-incidence, because I just had my *new* rig inspected by Action Air 2 weeks ago. The reserve pack was due anyway, they also installed an RSL and my cypres for me. I elected not to have them pack my main, simply because it costs $12 if they do it for you. Action Air are a really nice bunch of guys and I am very happy with the service I received.
/s

Action Air's buissiness must be going well. I purchased a new rig from them back in November and recieved it in January. I had it about 2 hours before I couldn't control my curiosity and opened her up and checked out the canopy. It wasn't that I didn't trust Action Air ( I definetely do!) I was curious to see how they packed, how the velcro-less toggles were stowed, and I just wanted to see my new baby.
My wife, just this week picked up here new rig from Action Air, she made it about 45 minutes before she just had to check it out.
Feet up, heads down, blue skies,
Landmissle

Most of the used and new gear I sell at work (Square One) goes out with the main unpacked 'cuz we figure the buyer will want to roll around on the floor with it... err I mean practice packing it prior to going out to the dz. Plus if it comes unpacked you can verify that the colors are what you wanted/expected before jumping it. But I'd certainly trust the pack job on what you're getting; only unpack it if you really want to practice packing.
Wow, just back in the air and you already have gear on the way! Me thinks he's baaaaccckkkkk!!! ;)
pull and flare,
lisa

I just bought a new rig on auction and I know that I not only want to see the whole thing when a rigger checkes it out I want to pack it. I am getting a brand new ZP and want to practice packing the damm thing so that it won't take me like an hour to pack when I finally get it to the DZ. Besides on my first(BEER) jump, on my first rig(BEER), I want to know that it was my first(BEER) pack job on it as well (Also after dropping all that cash I need to save any pennies I can). COngratulations on the new Rig.

Blue Skys and Safe Landings
Albatross

I also bought a used rig from a friend, he didn't jump it for over a year so first thing I did was pull everything out and inspect it thoroughly.
There is a document on the PD site with instructions on how to inspect your canopy.
I would also inspect the rig - rings, closing loop etc.
If you're going to trust this thing with your life I really think you should check it first.
Blue Skies,
David