douwanto

What are you making or paying per Tandem

Im curious about the Tandem field as a whole. What are the current rates and what do you believe they should be. Please comment after taking the poll.
Feel free to leave info on fat fees and other bonuses and tips that would help round out the information.
Do you make more when the DZ sells higher Tandems less when they sell lower tandems so forth and so on.

Regards
Chris

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

DJL

Base Tandem $40
+$35 either vid or still alone
+$40 both vid and stills
+$20 for over 200lb
+$40 for over 240lb
+$60 for over 260lb

I don't want no 261+ .:S:D

Hawaii= $35 but tipping is very common, average $15. Fat fees start @ $1/pound over 200.

Home DZ in WA= $45, tipping is uncommon. No fat fees, although our policy is supposed to be no one over 220.

I don't want no 261+ .CrazyLaugh

Only allowed with a lightweight TI and and student who can get their legs up. Basically, I've taken two linebackers.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

I don't want no 261+ .CrazyLaugh

Basically, I've taken two linebackers.

I've done a couple of 6'5"+, 275-ish.

Last guy I asked him what he weighed and he said "I'm approaching 275."

I wanted to ask him "From which direction?" :S:D

With a sign in the office that says "220 max" and no fat fee, I don't feel I'm obligated, even at my weight of under 180, to take those big dudes. Not for the same pay. [:/]

jimjumper

I took a 6'5" 250+ UFC fighter. Did't have any problem getting his legs up, but was glad we had a Skyvan for the exit! I got good money and a better tip for that one.

Extra $$$ and a tip, I'd be cool with that. Esp. considering the dude was in great shape, I bet.

I'm just tired of lugging couch potatoes out the door, way over our posted weight, for not a dime more. My back is tired. [:/]

JohnMitchell

***I took a 6'5" 250+ UFC fighter. Did't have any problem getting his legs up, but was glad we had a Skyvan for the exit! I got good money and a better tip for that one.

Extra $$$ and a tip, I'd be cool with that. Esp. considering the dude was in great shape, I bet.

I'm just tired of lugging couch potatoes out the door, way over our posted weight, for not a dime more. My back is tired. [:/]

Yeah, I wouldn't either. I get all the beefcakes since I'm the lightest TI and I have no shame in taking every cent of the fat tax since my Monday morning breakfast comes with a side of Ibuprofen.

kawisixer01

Fatties don't bother me a ton, I'm like 165 and personally I think they make for a much more stable freefall. Now canopy landing, that's some work. lol

(years ago) The heavier students convinced me to get a new main for my personal rig... I was having more fun flying a SET-400 with full load than I was flying my ragged out F111.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

My home DZ we get 50.00 for a tandem but we also have to pack the main. Packers get 15.00 for a tandem pack job so it makes the tandem pay at 35.00 If we shoot handcam and edit our own video we get a additional 50.00. editors charge 15.00 so figure 35.00 for handcam. When and if I get to use my own equipment I get a additional 40.00 per jump. Our tandems cost above the industry average so to keep the TI's around we keep the pay decent.
When I travel to events it is usually 75.00 for a tandem using my own gear. I have to pay a packer and it cost between 12.00 and 15.00. The places i visit, if hancams allowed are 35.00-45.00 with no editing.

Yeah, I wouldn't either. I get all the beefcakes since I'm the lightest TI and I have no shame in taking every cent of the fat tax since my Monday morning breakfast comes with a side of Ibuprofen.

I agree. I have no problem taking larger people. The extra $1.00 per pound over 220 defiantly helps pay for the Advil during the week. largest to date was 6'6" 281. But that was when i was much lighter than I am now. I limit myself to most anyone under 250. don't much like taking the 220+ women tho. most cant pick up their legs to even get into the plane let alone on landing.

kawisixer01

Fatties don't bother me a ton, I'm like 165 and personally I think they make for a much more stable freefall. Now canopy landing, that's some work. lol

This means that you still did not meet your worst customer. If you will jump tandems long enough, you will...

DJL

******I took a 6'5" 250+ UFC fighter. Did't have any problem getting his legs up, but was glad we had a Skyvan for the exit! I got good money and a better tip for that one.

Just curious, but have any of you been given grief for being anti-fat, or whatever they're calling it this week?

Bob_Church

*********I took a 6'5" 250+ UFC fighter. Did't have any problem getting his legs up, but was glad we had a Skyvan for the exit! I got good money and a better tip for that one.

Just curious, but have any of you been given grief for being anti-fat, or whatever they're calling it this week?

Not really, we explain that the pay goes directly to the TI for the additional pain and suffering we endure. Most of the big jumpers are heavy because they're built, not because they're fat so it's rarely embarrassing to them. If we get the feeling that we're going to embarrass someone by putting them on a scale in front of all their friends and charge them extra because they're fat we'll take them with no extra fee.

"Not really, we explain that the pay goes directly to the TI for the additional pain and suffering we endure. Most of the big jumpers are heavy because they're built, not because they're fat so it's rarely embarrassing to them. If we get the feeling that we're going to embarrass someone by putting them on a scale in front of all their friends and charge them extra because they're fat we'll take them with no extra fee"

That's a great way to do it. The only real problem I remember at TAS was when Steve, who visited the DZ to do heavy tandems, took a body builder up. You'd think a guy with near zero body fat would be a good health risk but he damned near died. It turns out that without that layer of fat your blood vessels get pinched off. He was bright red and unconscious when they landed.

Westerly

Does anyone get employed as an actual employee or is it always some 1099 baloney?

:D:D:D W2 tandem instructors. :D:D:D

Seriously though, I know of one club that considers tandem instructors to be employees, and they are in the minority.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Bob_Church

"Not really, we explain that the pay goes directly to the TI for the additional pain and suffering we endure. Most of the big jumpers are heavy because they're built, not because they're fat so it's rarely embarrassing to them. If we get the feeling that we're going to embarrass someone by putting them on a scale in front of all their friends and charge them extra because they're fat we'll take them with no extra fee"

That's a great way to do it. The only real problem I remember at TAS was when Steve, who visited the DZ to do heavy tandems, took a body builder up. You'd think a guy with near zero body fat would be a good health risk but he damned near died. It turns out that without that layer of fat your blood vessels get pinched off. He was bright red and unconscious when they landed.

That's a weird one. I definitely only do minor turns with heavy students. Even with the most careful fitting most of the pressure goes to the crotch.

TI needs to set the harness up for success. The pressure on the femoral artery will definitely put big students to sleep. If you can get them to sit in the harness after opening rather than hanging it makes a huge difference.

I take them all sizes and have for a long time. No complaints on weight fees lately. Most are really glad they can skydive. In the past I had a large nurse who I refused threaten to sue me... I just laughed at her and sent her on her way...

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421