piisfish

tandem passenger selfie cam...

First thought it might be an experienced jumper on the front, but her reaction tells me its really a first timer.

People continually try and reinvent the wheel when it comes to repeating stupid mistakes, in this case a new wheel is being invented.

"Lets find a new way to create a hazard, it'll be fine"

WTF is the TM thinking?

Idiot.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

piisfish

I was wondering if I should post it here, in Safety&Training , in the video/photo forum or in the Speaker's Corner [:/]

What do you guys think about that ?
https://www.facebook.com/1547151512187291/videos/1729896490579458/

Wow, I mean wow. The really stunning thing about this is that it is posted on the DZ's FB page. Like they are proud of it.

Caraïbe Parachutisme, Guadalupe. Remember that name.

Edit to add: After more consideration I now realize that this is obviously a very experienced TI with superior skills. So, nothing could possibly go wrong here. Carry on.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I think it's an awesome idea the day the manufacturer of the tandem system says it's OK. Until then, no!

From a rigging perspective there is always some chance that something sticking out from the student's helmet could snag. We never hear about these things when a jump goes well. What would happen if there is a bridle entanglement on that thing?

Of course in a perfect world no TM has ever had an unstable drogue deployment and every jump goes perfect... Just sayin.

-Michael

He's obviously a real expert....didn't even have to check his drogue after pitching, and handle checks were an afterthought....

Problem is, someone else will think this is a cool idea and copy it.

Edited to add: I just went on their (DZ) facebook page and made a comment about it. I'm sure they will translate it into French easily enough.

obelixtim

He's obviously a real expert....didn't even have to check his drogue after pitching, and handle checks were an afterthought....

Problem is, someone else will think this is a cool idea and copy it.

It actually is a cool idea, and a pretty good video. Just as long as you don't trouble yourself thinking it through.....
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

OK.

Yesterday I posted a comment on their FB page to the effect that I thought the TM was a moron, and so were they for allowing it.....got a response from a Ju Fwi whose wife is the DZO there.

Apparently the TM is a very intelligent man who has been doing this for 3 years with no problems! The camera is attached with magnets, so would come off in an entanglement situation.

The DZO is apparently OK with it! No thought about what would happen when the stick smacks the TM in the face.

I posted a response criticizing their operation for endangering their clients, and pointing out how they are out of step with the rest of the world with this, and asking why they don't use hand cam or FF camera. Also asked why the TM does no drogue or handle checks.

That post was very quickly deleted from their FB page. A jumper Brice Bernier then butted in abusing me for impoliteness. ;)

Anyone know if this would be allowed in France? Because I very much doubt it.

This could be quite a bit of fun winding them up.

https://www.facebook.com/1547151512187291/photos/a.1547181705517605.1073741829.1547151512187291/1729802000588907/?type=3

Not sure if this link will work, but it is another picture taken from their FB page.

Edit: It doesn't want to open, but if you highlight it, copy the link and open it in a new address bar it seems to. Maybe someone better than me can make it a clicky.

2nd edit.

The jumper in question here goes under the FB name:

Thomas Freefall

If you look at his home page he is jumping a Sigma tandem rig.

I wonder how UPT feel about that!