coozer

Sigma Tandem maintenance schedule/inspections

Now that you have tickled our curiosity .... what maintenance schedule did you find in the Sigma manual?

For the last couple of years I have done most of the maintenance for a Sigma DZ. We repacked the reserves every 180 days and did the occasional resew as needed. Oddly, the DZO was not willing to pay for 180 day inspections on Sigma student harnesses, but several student harnesses suffered popped stitches in strap ends, so I eventually inspected most of their student harnesses over the course of the jumping season. The former chief instructor may not have been a rigger, but he did work with another rigger on re-lining mains, replacing drogue kill-lines, replacing frayed risers (more than 600 jumps) etc. he knows more about maintains Icarus mains (in Sigmas) than I do!
Hee!
Hee!
At the end of 2015, I offered to inspect all of their Sigmas over the winter, but was purely declined. It will be amusing to watch how many silly little things break over the summer.
Break out the pop-corn!

tandem mains should be thoroughly inspected every 25 jumps.

section 2, chapter 4, page 3...

2) canopy cells, panels and seams
As you flake the canopy, take a good look at each panel for any tears, burns or broken stitches. After every 25 jumps
inspect the canopy more closely to include looking inside the cells as well as inspecting all of the reinforcing tapes
through-out the canopy

I was concerned with lack of inspections in the main... the harness can easily be inspected before each use, but the main not so much. The reserve being inspected after use or 6 months is ok as it is not being used...

They should be more clear about this stuff... good time to look over the drogue and risers etc at that point as well...

With this included in the manual... looks like 25 jumps inspections are actually mandated.

Last year I setup a program to improve safety and move to a more proactive maintenance schedule. Every packjob the packers do some level of inspection. Every jump the person doing the dressing does a level of inspection on the pax harness. Every 25 jumps a rigger does a more extensive inspection of the rig, pax harness and main.

Here is what I found. The drogue kill lines really do need to be adjusted every 25-50 jumps. Doing this has significantly reduced the number of TM complaints about bad openings. Small things do continuously need work and our systems have on average 500-1000 jumps.

Stitches do pop on the pax harnesses and they need sewing every 100-200 jumps. Most frequently it is webbing ends and where the webbing is sewed together on the shoulders. Hardware also needs some adjustments to ensure they are opening/closing smoothly.

Another point is replacing the elastic keepers. We probably replaced 1 for every 10 tandems done. Less of a safety issue but if a $0.75 keeper is in bad shape it's a magnet for passenger's eyes. "I had a great jump but man the equipment was sketchy" is not the feedback you want.

Although the manufacturer errs a bit on the side of caution their recommendations are not that far off.

-Michael

hackish

Another point is replacing the elastic keepers. We probably replaced 1 for every 10 tandems done. Less of a safety issue but if a $0.75 keeper is in bad shape it's a magnet for passenger's eyes. "I had a great jump but man the equipment was sketchy" is not the feedback you want.

Excellent point. I continue to be amazed at the number of DZOs who do not see this as an issue, and tandem instructors who do not bother to point it out.

I've heard that using stow bands in lieu of the proper elastic keepers is what causes the fuzzy webbing you see on too many harnesses. A smart DZO would have a handy box of good keepers available to all TIs and brief them not to use stow bands. A local rigger could mass produce a bunch of them quickly.

The most difficult part about the keepers is getting the material. Paragear does not carry nylon elastic material. I have spoken to them about it but the feedback I got was "We've never been asked about it". So riggers, ask paragear and if they bring some in buy it up!

-Michael