Rover

Interesting Handcam Setup

Yeah I could see that getting in the way of handle checks, or more importantly getting in the way when you actually need to get to the handle!

Maybe it would be easy to learn to deal with, but why? I am imagining the need to get to a Dual Hawk RSL which is on the left main riser with that thing on my hand!

I can see a bunch of negatives: obviously a bigger snag point, bigger sharper object that could bash a student, bigger target for a student to grab, more likely to snag a reserve handle while flying the canopy.

I fail to see a huge benefit of this setup? It isn't getting the gopro further from the student for a wider shot. Maybe it gets better landing shots when both hands need to be actively in the toggles flying the canopy?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Distinct flaw in that design.

If he extended it a bit, widened it a bit, and drilled a hole in it he could prolly carry a can of beer as well.

I'll pass the idea on to Roy the Boy.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

raftman

It doesn't look like the 12 year old student cares!!

That is not from a US dropzone. Most, if not all, countries other than the US don't limit tandem passengers to 18+, and are content with parental consent and their own evaluation of the suitability of the student. The "of age" requirement in the US is very recent and has, to the best of my knowledge, nothing to do with the inherent danger for young passengers, and everything to do with the US liability laws and lawsuits which have rendered guardian-signed waivers worthless.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

DougH

I fail to see a huge benefit of this setup? It isn't getting the gopro further from the student for a wider shot. Maybe it gets better landing shots when both hands need to be actively in the toggles flying the canopy?

Given the two camera's are slightly offset, my guess would be he wants a piece of that sweet sweet 3D video action.

IJskonijn

***I fail to see a huge benefit of this setup? It isn't getting the gopro further from the student for a wider shot. Maybe it gets better landing shots when both hands need to be actively in the toggles flying the canopy?

Given the two camera's are slightly offset, my guess would be he wants a piece of that sweet sweet 3D video action.

You are probably correct about the 3d angle. Given the many other simpler options available to mount two cameras without going through the trouble of manufacturing a mount like this. Good thinking.

It is downright creepy to me to look at the child going skydiving though. Legal or not.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

grantunderland

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the spacing is far to large to be a 3D setup. This is what you'll want for 3D.

Just a guess, but I imagine the spacing should be the same as the spacing between the average person's eyes. It may be that there is no absolutely correct spacing. It may be a matter of different perspectives and art.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.