Bealio

Selfie

A co-worker was showing me a picture from his tandem jump. I noticed it was a selfie and asked him about it. He told me that during freefall, he pulled out his phone from his pocket and took a selfie. I thought it was hilarious and wanted to know if this happens a lot now a days.

It's not hilarious or great - this is plain stupid and dangerous. Apart from the distraction added by handling his phone, think of what would have happened to him (or his tandem master) if the phone slipped from his hands. Think of what would have happened if the phone hit somebody on the ground. Getting hit in the face or in your head by a phone at freefall speed? Absolutely hilarious...

And to answer your question - things like this tend to happen more and more. I've had numerous discussions about why it's not possible to bring your own phone or camera on a tandem skydive. I've had people show up with meter-long selfie-sticks. I've have had tandem passengers try to smuggle Gopros into the airplane, even though we strictly forbid it.
Social media show people a lot of stupid things and as most people are not used to thinking on their own, they try to recreate everything that might generate a few likes and online-attention without considering the possible consequences.
Nice words are not always true - and true words are not always nice.
  • Like 1

tsalnukt

dumb. The TM should never have let that happen.

Yes because we let our students take cellphones on jumps for this exact purpose.

More likely the student was a douche nozzle, and despite being told to empty their pockets fully they snuck their phone on to the jump and pulled it out unannounced and unplanned.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

***dumb. The TM should never have let that happen.

Yes because we let our students take cellphones on jumps for this exact purpose.

More likely the student was a douche nozzle, and despite being told to empty their pockets fully they snuck their phone on to the jump and pulled it out unannounced and unplanned.

Would the pilot be in jeopardy of an enforcement action/lawsuit if the phone was dropped and caused injury/damage?

chutem

******dumb. The TM should never have let that happen.

Would the pilot be in jeopardy of an enforcement action/lawsuit if the phone was dropped and caused injury/damage?

"It Depends." (stock answer to just about any legal question, thanks Prof Schaefer)

If the DZ has a policy of "empty your pockets, no phones or cameras on the jump", and this "douche nozzle" student violated that policy and snuck the phone on the jump, then probably not.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

As far as my admittedly limited experience with selfis goes, this is a frame grab from an outside video.
Also possible is a selfi stick with a wide angle cam mounted but that would connote that the TM was ok with it in the first place.

The first one is the most likely which would imply that either you got trolled or we :)

-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

jumpsalot-2

I call Bull Shit. I don't believe it ever happened. There is no way a Tandem instructor would let a student move their arms back toward their pockets ( aka - toward the handles ). Show the picture.

Students invent stupid stuff every day.
They often do stupid stuff faster than instructors can react.
They often do stupid stuff that never crossed the instructors' mind.
How do you expect an instructor to cancel a stupid move that he has never heard of before?

normiss

I can. I have.
:)

Even allowed a few tandem students to bring one so long as there was a wrist strap.
Didn't bother me, distract me, nor them.

:D we let our passengers take up their own go pros. I know there's a lot of debate on that, but it's usually no big deal. I had one student who had $hit body position on exit trying to get a great selfie, but lesson learned. I'll have 'em grab the harness better next time.

After one really bad body position student I pretty much fought with to get body position, I generally stopped worrying about the student and just out flew them.
Long legs, long arms helped a LOT.
B|

I agree that the cameras are typically not an issue.
I do prefer outside video as the best product for the jump IMO.