JohnMitchell

Wing suiting vs. Tandems

As tandem masters, we got pretty used to being last out and all alone in the sky under canopy, only the other tandem canopies for company. Now, with the increased popularity of wing suiting, I'm finding my skies a bit more crowded.

Saturday I'm under canopy with Erika after a great jump. We're at about 3500 feet when I tell her to start looking around for wing suiters. One of them opens above and about 200 yards from us. I point him out to my passenger and comment that he has a bunch of line twists. Soon his path is curving to cross over us and I said "Let's steer away from him in case he chops."

:D:D About 15 seconds later, my student gets to watch a nice wing suit cutaway, with the reserve opening just below our level. B| I'm glad we got out of the way, right?

We also were about the same level on final. I know what it's like to be under a reserve, so made sure I went behind the guy. He had had enough excitement for one day.

Anyway, that was my one jump Saturday before the weather closed in. Always something new. :)

We chatted. I'm okay with the 200 yards separation, esp. with a touch of vertical (in case of line twists, etc.) I never saw that we were on a collision course prior to deployment. But there have been serious incidents when a higher jumper has cutaway and fallen into a lower jumper.

DougH

This also happens with dropzones operating two smaller Cessna's, especially with AFF students mixed into the loads.

Or turbine DZs with AFF and tandem on the same load. I do spend a bit of time steering way clear of students. Luckily their landing area is about 1/3 mile from mine. Lots of separation on final. :)

I thought we eliminated that problem a couple of years ago.

First, we assigned different flight paths for wing-suiters and freefallers.

Secondly, we made it unfashionable for wing-suiters to use tandems as "pylons" on their way back to the DZ.
IOW we banned wing-suiters from "buzzing" tandems.

riggerrob

I thought we eliminated that problem a couple of years ago.

First, we assigned different flight paths for wing-suiters and freefallers.

Secondly, we made it unfashionable for wing-suiters to use tandems as "pylons" on their way back to the DZ.
IOW we banned wing-suiters from "buzzing" tandems.

What I think makes the biggest difference is when wingsuiters and TI's talk prior to the load and agree on the holding area for tandems and the opening area for wingsuiters. The wingsuiters can normally go more or less upwind.

It starts to get complex when there are also a lot of wingsuit groups on the load, and in that case they are better off on a fun jump load with no tandems.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

There is no buzzing of tandems at our DZ. However, we do share a common landing area. Ours is the only DZ in our area that permits wingsuiting, and we have a large contingent of them. We'll have to continue to work with them.

My only safety issue so far has been if they should have to chop above me and traffic in the landing area. Our DZ rule is "tandems have right-of-way" but you don't want to be "dead right".

n that case they are better off on a fun jump load with no tandems.

In a perfect world, that may be true, but given that the wingsuiters and TI's are all experienced skydivers, they should be able to agree on a plan and stick to it. (Starting with no buzzing of tandems).

My DZ runs two caravans, so it is nearly impossible for me to wait for a load that doesn't have tandems. I just don't feel obligated to buzz them, so the issue is avoided.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

It's not exactly difficult to TALK to the other people on the load. I know all the TIs at my home DZ and when I'm flying WS we always discuss opening while waiting for the plane. The students generally are interested in seeing the suits too.

Tandem canopies are also pretty easy to spot. There is no real excuse for getting too close to them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.