Yung_Seezy

Solo jumper jumping with tandem

Chasing tandems might be "legal" with a D license, instructor rating, recent group freefall experience, etc. but USPA, the manufacturers and most DZOs discourage the practice.

Hint: the first (... or second) tandem fatality involved a "chaser" docking so hard that he broke the TI's neck!
The second tandem fatality involved a solo canopy trying to build a formation with an open tandem main. He docked so hard that he entangled with the tandem main canopy. The TI released his entangled main, but was unable to activate his reserve.
Both fatalities occurred before Cypres was invented.
We will learn nothing by repeating those mistakes.
Most TIs do not want the additional risk of being chased by unknown jumpers with unknown skills. Finally, few tandem students remember seeing the extra jumper during freefall.

riggerrob

Hint: the first (... or second) tandem fatality involved a "chaser" docking so hard that he broke the TI's neck!

(If I can find back the old vector 2 tandem manual, with a list of those accidents.)
I think that he did not killed the TI, but the passenger, his own mother.

But the message is the same. The tandempair is a sitting duck.

JohnMitchell

Most TIs do not want the additional risk of being chased by unknown jumpers with unknown skills.

Known jumpers with known skills I have no problem.Correct. I did 2 tandem chases w/ my children at a couple 100 jumps. Docked at 6000' and was outta there. W approval of STA ,TI and vidoeit. Did land out tho watching my daughters' opening on my back. Flipped over and said HOLY SHIT. You went low. Over a river. Landed dead center football field. :)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

I did 2 tandem chases w/ my children at a couple 100 jumps. Docked at 6000' and was outta there. W approval of STA ,TI and vidoeit. Did land out tho watching my daughters' opening on my back. Flipped over and said HOLY SHIT. You went low. Over a river. Landed dead center football field. :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but: how do you feel now about your STA and the TI's willingness to let you jump with that tandem, compared to the recommendations (and in some cases requirements) of the manufacturers, which called for a different decision?

The recommendation is mostly there to protect the passenger but it's there to protect you too.

Glad you had a football field to land in!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?