Laszloimage

Tandem passenger handy cam....

ShortBus

... Have fun doing 182 exits with 200lbs of stupid flailing their arms trying to get "The shot." ...

You know, I have never thought of any of my tandem students as "200 pounds of stupid", maybe because of the training I give them. I would have to believe that if a tandem instructor showed their student how to shoot their own video, and practiced it a few times, that most of them would do an OK job. Maybe not all of them, but most.

ShortBus

how is a student supposed to keep their hands on the harness if they're sticking them straight out to film? Have fun doing 182 exits with 200lbs of stupid flailing their arms trying to get "The shot." Thank you skyhook for making most my tandem cutaways a SOS style chop. I don't think I would keep throwing drogues if a glove on my hand made me feel "unsafe." I would pay good money to see a first jump student shoot a better handi-cam video them me. It's not happening, not in a million years.

For the record the pictures of JT is Josh Thomas NFL player for the Colts.. why don't you go call him 200LBS of stupid.

Pay Up Mr. Conceded

k2skydiver

For the record the pictures of JT is Josh Thomas NFL player for the Colts.. why don't you go call him 200LBS of stupid.

All of those look good. Interesting that the woman in [002] has that "oh, shit!" expression on her face, but is doing a good job pointing the camera anyway!

I think tandem instructors' opinions of their students' potential performance are often too low. Your students in those shots are performing well.

peek

***For the record the pictures of JT is Josh Thomas NFL player for the Colts.. why don't you go call him 200LBS of stupid.

All of those look good. Interesting that the woman in [002] has that "oh, shit!" expression on her face, but is doing a good job pointing the camera anyway!

I think tandem instructors' opinions of their students' potential performance are often too low. Your students in those shots are performing well.

This is the result 98% of the time. you do have a few that don't turn out well but that would also be the case if it was on the instructor.

I would pay good money to see a first jump student shoot a better handi-cam video them me. It's not happening, not in a million years.

k2skydiver already demonstrated that apparently it can and has been done regularly.

And besides that, I did not start the thread with the intent of students shooting 'better video' than you....I simply am discussing them shooting video. I could honestly give a shit about what the quality of the video is.

If the customer wants to and I can make a buck off of it, then who am I to care? really.

Back to my original post(s)....what excuses will we have when the camera is so small that it is the size of a quarter mounted on a glove, flush with the glove? At that point, denying the customer a possible service would be just being a dick.

http://www.ccfamilydefense.com/World-s-Smallest-HD-Spy-Camera-DVR-with-color-p/dvrg200.htm

Sorry, every tandem student I've taken up has done perfect! Its amazing how easy this sport is for people to pick up on their first jump! I've pulled some sweet screen grabs from crap video as well.
Like i said from the beginning. If it's not taking money out of my pocket or adding extra danger...Go for it.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

peek

***... Have fun doing 182 exits with 200lbs of stupid flailing their arms trying to get "The shot." ...

You know, I have never thought of any of my tandem students as "200 pounds of stupid", maybe because of the training I give them. I would have to believe that if a tandem instructor showed their student how to shoot their own video, and practiced it a few times, that most of them would do an OK job. Maybe not all of them, but most.After over 20 years of training students and rating candidates, I think most people will perform up to or down to our expectations.
The tandem I's I know that treat their students like students generally have good performance.
Those that consider them "200 pounds of stupid" usually get what they expect (and deserve).
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

ufk22

The tandem I's I know that treat their students like students generally have good performance.
Those that consider them "200 pounds of stupid" usually get what they expect (and deserve).

I admire your philosophy and try to treat my passengers as students also. But try as we might, we occasionally end up with a load of "stupid" in freefall. . . :S

riggerrob

May I suggest that the best cutaway footage will come from looping your left thumb (camera hand) through the reserve ripcord and pointing the camera towards the mess spinning overhead?

On my one tandem cutaway that sort of just naturally happened. It worked out pretty well, not only for video, but GoPro stills too. It helped to analyze what happened once we got back down too.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52