DougH

From the UK " attempted Homicide" post, BPA a tandem report on

This report was referenced in one of the incident threads, about the woman whose reserve slinks came, by some manner, undone.

I thought it was interesting, mainly around the level of detail of reports, especially the tandem section, which had an entry about a re-currency jump where one of the upper connectors undid itself!

Overall I am surprised that the BPA didn't also quantify the volume of flatulence released on the climb to altitude, they seem rather anal, so that would appear to be a measurement of interest.

Safety & Training Committee
Minutes of the meeting held on
Thursday 4 June 2015 at 1900

"...There had been 13 Tandem Malfunction/Deployment Problem reports received. These included a number of malfunctions on the same canopy. The CI has now taken the canopy out of service.
Another involved a Tandem Instructor who was carrying out a currency jump with a ‘C’ licence jumper. Once the canopy had deployed it was noticed that the top right hook was undone. This was reconnected and the pair landed safely. From pictures taken in the aircraft it appears that the hook was done up. Statements from the instructor, the ‘C’ licence jumper and other instructors all confirmed that the hooks were attached in the aircraft. The Tandem pair made an
unstable exit, which may have caused the hook to become unattached.
"

Anyone ever had this happen? :|
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

This is the first time I have heard of a shoulder hook disconnecting after exit.
There have been a few incidents involving TIs forgetting to hook hooks before exit.
It even happened to me during an evaluation jump. I had many hundreds of tandem jumps and was strapped to the front of an aspiring TI. After he had hooked us together and completed all his checks, I waved the left shoulder hook under his nose until he connected it correctly. Back on the ground, I reported the omission to the Tandem Examiner.

DougH

This report was referenced in one of the incident threads, about the woman whose reserve slinks came, by some manner, undone.

I thought it was interesting, mainly around the level of detail of reports, especially the tandem section, which had an entry about a re-currency jump where one of the upper connectors undid itself!

Overall I am surprised that the BPA didn't also quantify the volume of flatulence released on the climb to altitude, they seem rather anal,
so that would appear to be a measurement of interest.

Safety & Training Committee
Minutes of the meeting held on
Thursday 4 June 2015 at 1900

"...There had been 13 Tandem Malfunction/Deployment Problem reports received. These included a number of malfunctions on the same canopy. The CI has now taken the canopy out of service.
Another involved a Tandem Instructor who was carrying out a currency jump with a ‘C’ licence jumper. Once the canopy had deployed it was noticed that the top right hook was undone. This was reconnected and the pair landed safely. From pictures taken in the aircraft it appears that the hook was done up. Statements from the instructor, the ‘C’ licence jumper and other instructors all confirmed that the hooks were attached in the aircraft. The Tandem pair made an
unstable exit, which may have caused the hook to become unattached.
"

Anyone ever had this happen? :|

Describes BPA perfectly, they take themselves VERY seriously, doesn't hide the fact they are a bunch of control freak tossers.

However, it is better to have too much detail, rather than nothing at all, as you get in the US due to the fear of litigation. I'm sure the wheel is reinvented quite a bit, due to the almost total lack of information available when incidents occur.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

At our DZ we I do it multiple times after hooking up,
First do a full gear check with touching handles shoulders hooks and waist hooks.
Then I tell my passanger that we are hooked and at this point i generate some tension in them so the student can fell from where we are attached
Lastly (C 206/182) I let the other instructors know I am ready and do another check on me and a visual on them.

How long is your jump run?! Hooking up 4k before exit?!

;) ;)

More can't hurt I guess.

I verbalize the connections to the student while connecting them. Lowers connect, right upper, left upper, then tighten lowers with or without student assistance.

A full harness, connector, and handle check rounds it out. And if I have down time I might touch them one more time while waiting for the pair in front to exit.

Not that a check from the other TI is a bad idea, we just haven't found it necessary.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P