chemist

working towards a job filming tandems at an Otter DZ

For those TIs who see new camera fliers coming on the job, what are some of the characteristics of those who succeed in breaking into this kind of position?

For someone like me with 270 jumps what should I be doing now to make my goal a reality? Will the fact that I can only work weekends work against me? Do I need to start doing a lot of belly flying? All I do is freefly and now wingsuit in my own time. But I also like to film belly formations as an outside cameraman

Dedication is a big plus. Always be ready before the TI.
That requires attention to detail: packing promptly, ensuring that batteries are recharged, keeping a spare memory chip in your jumpsuit, keeping an eye on manifest, etc.
A large fall rate range helps keep subjects in frame.
I often tell aspiring visitors to go chase their junior buddies around the sky. The worse their buddies flop, and the better they keep them in frame, the better their chances or working as a videographer.
Special awareness is vital to staying alive. This means using your peripheral vision to confirm handles, the spot, altitude, etc. all while keeping the camera focused on the subject.

Fall rate range (95-150 covers most tandems) and belly skills.

I found that doing coach jumps with a variety of students really helped due to the random fall rates and unpredictability.

Be realistic with your expectations. Look at the average jump numbers of most tandem camera flyers and don't try to rush into it. When a DZ gives you a shot, you want to be sure you don't f*ck it up - it's not worth the stress :).

Work on varying fall rates: transitions between free fly speeds (exit through drogue deployment) and belly speed (once drogue is out).

Then comes canopy skills: land your canopy exactly where you want too, every time. Shed your gear and get the landing footage.

Lots to practice - sounds like fun to me!!

Flying skills and video skills are needed. And equally important is a customer focused positive attitude. For a large percentage of passengers this will be their only experience at your DZ, which they'll tell their friends about. Being able to give the customer a good experience from the first load to the last is key. Work on your interview skills also.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

wow.... i'd find another DZ.... I am not a TM but rather an outside video person....
I have learned that ANYthing that is new to a jumper, should be approached with care and respect.... HOW can a New TM be "comfortable " enough to add a hand cam,,,, on his or her early tandem jumps...
sounds like were talking about a cessna DZ...
anyway.... each may do as they please, just take Care. Jmy

stayhigh

But the DZO will insist that you wear one on your first paid jump.... That's if you are comfortable...

Not my DZO, not all DZO's are bad actors!

To Jimmy's comment, being a small or big DZ should have nothing to do with it. I jump at a 182 drop zone and our newly rated instructor is not jumping handicam with the fresh rating, regardless of comfort!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

sure , Doug.. we are on the same page...I mentioned a Cessna DZ, as logistics there, would favor 2 TMs, and 2 First Timers, as likely to be a Full Load..
IF video is desired,,, the ONLY way to do it, while taking 2 Pair at a time,, is with hand-cam

in That scenario I could see where a DZO,,, might be inclined to WANT everyone to be hand cam capable. Even the New TMs...

Glad to hear that Your DZO does not favor that approach...til the instructor has eased into the role...

sorry to have steered this discussion off track... the OP ,,,,, WAS asking about an Otter DZ...

DougH

***But the DZO will insist that you wear one on your first paid jump.... That's if you are comfortable...

Not my DZO, not all DZO's are bad actors!

To Jimmy's comment, being a small or big DZ should have nothing to do with it. I jump at a 182 drop zone and our newly rated instructor is not jumping handicam with the fresh rating, regardless of comfort!

In all fairness, you do work for pretty awesome DZOs. :D
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.