SpeedRacer

Avoiding canopy collision

I only got the most basic training about canopy control during AFF, the rest I just picked up from advice over beers at the end of the day, which kind of bothers me.
When you open & see another canopy heading towards you, you're supposed to turn to the right. Someone told me that you do this with a rear riser turn before unstowing the brakes. So why do you turn with rear risers to avoid a canopy collision, and you turn with front risers if you're swooping in for a landing?
Also, I tried doing rear riser turns on my canopy just for practice, and it was very hard to do. There are no handles on my rear risers, like there are on my front risers, and I couldn't get a good grip, and it seemed like my canopy didn't turn very fast. Made me wonder about this whole rear riser turn thing. Any advice, comments?
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

My thoughts on that would be that you would want to use your rear risers because they are going to slow the canopy down rather than speed it up when you use front risers...some canopies you can actually get to fly backwards if you use the rear risers properly. Of course that is very close to the stall point. I would imagine that you could do either, but I would rather have the canopy slow down rather than speed up. That is my understanding of why you want to use rear risers. I would imagine that it is going to be the same with toggle input as well, rear riser will be safer. Sometimes you dont have time to get to the toggles so risers are your only option. All of these ways would work and every situation is different. You are going to be the one underneath that canopy and it is ultimately going to be your decision. My suggestion would be to get to know the range of your canopy...know what it can do and how fast it can do it so when the time does come...you are prepared and can make the right decision.
"I'll jump anything!"

Just after opening you may not have time to unstow the toggles, therefore you will NEED to use the risers. This will become evident when you start jumping with a lot of people. If you ever get a chance to participate in a CReW camp you will get experience flying in proximity with others as well as docking techniques. You will learn emergency proceedures in different situations always with the emphasis on safety. Otherwise, the best separation is vertical separation. A front riser turn may be safer. As always, consult your JM and/or S&TA. And sign up for a crew course so you can experience different flying characteristics of the canopy.
Shark
CCR-2113
BTW, the PD Lightning will still fly after a hard dock; at least in my case. :)