wmscott

Fake Student Ripcord?

Decent words.

But I'll say in defence of the perhaps over-enthusiastic newbie, that he has tried: There was no instructor to help him at the busy DZ and he presumably thought more about the issue after getting home. And pulling the handle correctly is a big part of doing what you need to do to save your own life. And he is aware that there is uncertainty about his perception and what actually happened.

But yeah we may not be able to solve all his questions here, so wmscott does need to just go and do another jump and work with the instructors he gets...

Agreed. I need to do another one and most importantly, ask questions after the jump and before I leave.

I'm still trying to track down the instructor. Like I stated earlier, trying to figure out what "could" have happened is only for my reference at this point. Only the instructor can answer for sure as to what happened.

Some things make sense, others do not. As for the time it took for things to happen in the air.....I could be way off. My perception of "time" may have been altered by me being "amped up" during the jump.

Things I know for a fact......I know what I had in my hand. I know how hard I pulled it. Whether it was hard enough or not, or if it opened the container, I do not know for sure. I know the steering toggles had only one loop as we had to pass them between us. And they were yellow, not red. So I guess that rules out the reserve.

I'll pass on the information after I find out in case anyone is interested. All in all, a moot point as to what really happened I guess.

[url]http://youtu.be/Ft0ek8QW6cQ

Tandem reserve ride....yellow toggles not red. Guess reserve ride is no longer ruled out by not having red toggles. Still waiting to hear back from the DZ and trying to locate the instructor. Will post when I find anything out.

Thanks again for all the help and possible theories.

Quit trying to search through other people's videos to try and disprove what someone has told you and just call up the DZ, locate the instructor and ask what happened. If you had a reserve ride the instructor would remember.

Searching through other peoples videos does very little to tell you what happened on YOUR jump and that is ultimately that is what you are looking to find out.

Just trying to vet the difference between fact and opinion on here. Red toggles on all reserves is not fact.

I asked the question "Is there a simple way of telling if it was a reserve".

Answers were given to me related to the color and type of toggles.

I may be mistaken. I thought the purpose of this forum was for acquiring information. Not to flame, criticize or insult.

I will continue to use all means of information I have at my disposal. As I have stated several times, this is for my own reference only, and not to determine fact as to what took place. I have also stated several times that the instructor is the only one that knows exactly what happened and I am in the process of attempting to locate him.

So....for those reading posts on this forum for information and reference.....

Toggles on a reserve canopy of a Tandem rig "can" be yellow and single loops.

Just trying to vet the difference between fact and opinion on here. Red toggles on all reserves is not fact.

There is only one simple way to determine your facts and that is to call the DZ and ask the instructor.

No amount of discussion here will determine what happened on your jump or any issues with the equipment that may have happened. Let me put it this way reserve, toggles can be virtually any color. There are some which are more common than others ie Red ones. Toggles on the main can be set up for single toggles, dual toggles. Depending upon the system the main can be activated by either of two toggles which can have bungees attached to them. Pulling a ripcord should take very little pressure and activation should occur once the ripcord has been pulled only a few inches. I know of DZ that attach a student ripcord and others that don't.

All of these are facts. You can go and find examples of all of the above and deviations of them, but that's not going to help you determine what happened on your jump.

Simply put, the only way you can determine what actually happened is to talk to the DZ and the instructor. This should involve a single phone call and only take a couple of days to resolve it. If it takes longer than that that then feel free to name the DZ for lack of post jump customer service.

Your asking for specific details that pertain to your scenario and we can all hypothesize what happened but it is just taking a guess. These forums are not regulated so take virtually everything said with a pinch of salt as there is no way of telling if that person is really qualified to answer the question. Once again, speaking to the DZ and specifically the instructor means that you will get an answer from someone that is qualified, who was there with you and knows what happened.

Its not flaming but simply telling you how to get a definitive answer to your question. Disputing posts is not getting you closer to an answer.

wmscott

Check

Don't ask questions here.

The lesson is that if you ask a million questions here, people will get bored or annoyed by you.

Not every student's questions get answered completely; sometimes a student has to go back to the dropzone and deal with their own instructors.

...Even if your questions are technically valid, and you were correct in observing that toggle colours are not always the typical ones some of us expected.

pchapman

***Check

Don't ask questions here.

The lesson is that if you ask a million questions here, people will get bored or annoyed by you.

Not every student's questions get answered completely; sometimes a student has to go back to the dropzone and deal with their own instructors.

...Even if your questions are technically valid, and you were correct in observing that toggle colours are not always the typical ones some of us expected.

The other lesson is that if you ask questions, get reasonably valid answers, run and find exceptions to those, then come back and argue about it; people will get annoyed.

The only people who know for certain what the gear is, what kind of toggles are in it and exactly what happened are the people who were actually there for the jump.

Everything you get here is an assumption or a reasonable guess, based on what is considered "normal" or "standard."

Knowledge is a good thing. But don't confuse information with knowledge. You need understanding in between the two.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The purpose of this thread was for information purposes only.

Information that is not validated, should be quantified or qualified with "in my experience" or "in my opinion". Information posted should be amended by anyone and everyone that has additional information to validate, vet, quantify or qualify said information. This is for the purpose and benefit of everyone reading the thread to obtain the most accurate and up-to-date information. It is not "arguing".

Posting information that is amended by fact or personal experience, should not "annoy" anyone. It is for the purpose of maintaining accuracy.

The personalities here on DZ.com are not conducive for acquiring information on ANY level. Not even on a level meant for pure discussion.

Therefore, is there any way to remove this thread from this forum? Or remove my account completely?

Thanks

wmscott

The purpose of this thread was for information purposes only.

Information that is not validated, should be quantified or qualified with "in my experience" or "in my opinion". Information posted should be amended by anyone and everyone that has additional information to validate, vet, quantify or qualify said information. This is for the purpose and benefit of everyone reading the thread to obtain the most accurate and up-to-date information. It is not "arguing".

Posting information that is amended by fact or personal experience, should not "annoy" anyone. It is for the purpose of maintaining accuracy.

The personalities here on DZ.com are not conducive for acquiring information on ANY level. Not even on a level meant for pure discussion.

Therefore, is there any way to remove this thread from this forum? Or remove my account completely?

Thanks

Any info on here (or any internet forum for that matter) should be taken with the proverbial "grain of salt." There's a pretty good sticky in the Safety & Training forum about that.

What you call "amended information" is considered by many on here "finding an exception that is then used to say 'your answer was wrong.'"

There are a lot of different types of personalities on here (and on all the forums I'm part of). Some are very helpful, some are snarky and useless, most are somewhere in between.
The 'helpful' ones like at least a little appreciation of their efforts if you wish them to continue helping you.

A little humility about what someone does and doesn't know goes a long way.

Threads can be removed by the moderators, but it usually takes a good reason.
If you want your account closed, you need to violate the rules flagrantly enough to get permanently banned.

There have been some of those that are pretty legendary.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

"I" was asked if I was under a reserve.

I replied: "Is there an easy way to tell?"

I was told, "if I was under a reserve, the toggles would be red".

I then discovered that this information was not "entirely" accurate. And I posted an "amendment" to the above information that "not all reserve parachutes on tandem rigs have red toggles" And posted video proof. (google "reserve tandem ride", it's the first video that pops up btw)

You are big boys. You jump from airplanes. Your wittle feelwings shouldn't be hurt so easily from "amendments" to your posts. Or for that matter, being shown you are wrong.

Here is what we have learned on this thread. (Or "should" have learned)

There are no "fake" or "dummy" ripcords. They are real and are called release handles. (Currently this information has neither been supported, amended or debunked)

The release handle on the student side is connected and part of the release handle on the instructor side. What works on one side, should work on the other.

Toggles on reserve parachutes on Tandem rigs can be either red OR yellow.

The best time to ask question about your jump is immediately after your jump.

The best person to ask is your instructor. He is the only one that has actual information about your jump and what took place.

Asking questions on this forum will annoy some. Correcting them will annoy them even more. Not all information or questions are welcomed. Especially if you are "the noobe".

This is all valuable information.

wmscott

"I" was asked if I was under a reserve.

I replied: "Is there an easy way to tell?"

I was told, "if I was under a reserve, the toggles would be red".

I then discovered that this information was not "entirely" accurate. And I posted an "amendment" to the above information that "not all reserve parachutes on tandem rigs have red toggles" And posted video proof. (google "reserve tandem ride", it's the first video that pops up btw)

You are big boys. You jump from airplanes. Your wittle feelwings shouldn't be hurt so easily from "amendments" to your posts. Or for that matter, being shown you are wrong.

Let it go, Willy. Walk away.

One thing we learn in skydiving is that unless there is video to document what happened, we only have our memories. Either way, examining video evidence or mentally reviewing a skydive or any element of one, it is not always clear what happened. What is important, that we can discuss and improve on is: what action did I take? What action will I take if that event happens again?

Here's what we know: you had a hard time pulling. Your instructor worked it out from there and did the most important thing on every skydive: landed both of you safely. You can go over and over what happened as much as you want. What's productive and beneficial for future skydives is to learn from that experience: Handles can be hard to pull and instructors can be busy. Apply that to future skydives if you want to continue.

The other thing we know: responses on an internet forum are a mixed bag.

The real question is: do you want to skydive or debate what could have happened on your previous jump with a bunch of people who weren't there? Jump or do not jump, there is no try (or discuss or debate or blah blah blah)

Before you go....could you get together with some of the others and ask the moderator to delete this thread and please delete my account?

Some of the posts on this thread have already been removed or deleted, so I know it can me done. I have no option that I can find to delete this thread or my account.

Seriously, please complain to the moderator and ask that I be removed from this forum.

Thank you.

wmscott

Before you go....could you get together with some of the others and ask the moderator to delete this thread and please delete my account?

Some of the posts on this thread have already been removed or deleted, so I know it can me done. I have no option that I can find to delete this thread or my account.

Seriously, please complain to the moderator and ask that I be removed from this forum.

Thank you.

You've received lots of helpful advice and information here. You just don't like it because it doesn't fit the conclusion you want to reach.

You can remove yourself by just not coming back. Take charge of your own destiny. Cut-away from this thread.

.....it's like a train wreck....you guys just can't look away, can you? haha

.....so here is some more for you......

Not one of you were EVER asked for your mother fucking advice. Not once. But nooooooo, you just can't help yourselves. You have to open up your cock suckers and give all this shit advice that has NOTHING to do with the topic of the thread! What the fuck is wrong with you guys?? I didn't ask "Hey sky gods, where should I go and who should I ask to find out what happened on my jump?" Nope. Didn't ask that. But boy you guys sure can't help yourself, can you??

Probably won't get my account deleted either. I'm one of the few concise intelligent posters that you have on here. And definitely one of the few that understand the value and answering a question directly instead of giving UNSOLICITED advice.

It's a shame really. But it's okay. You are what you are.

All I'm asking now is to have my name, account and all my posts removed from this site.

..........but you are all too fucking stupid to get it. But maybe the profanity will get the attention of the moderator....... Unless he's one of you assholes.

lol THAT should do it!

Thank you.