Skypilot

Pivot Pad handcam glove

Currently I have only about a dozen jumps on my Pivot glove dual gopro set up. I am amazed at the engineering of the glove and very impressed with the total cost. I love the way you can easily adjust the angle on the glove. It feels extremely comfortable and light. Depending on the version of Gopro you may need to drill a hole for the second mic location. From the 3 to the 3 plus to the 4 the second mic location changed with each revision.

Just a little on my background I have over 1000 handycam jumps using Waycool glove and later a Simon Wade glove.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I put about 300 on mine this summer.

I have the back which allows the battery backpack on the lower camera. Unfortunately I have found the go-pro 3+ battery back pack to be absolutely useless, but that is unrelated to the handicam setup.

I think the setup is awesome.

I like the protection for the cameras, and their lenses.

I like the button, instead of being forced to use one-button.

The value is way better than other gloves that offer finicky velcro, force your to use one-button, and don't protect the camera lenses.

My only issue was that the screws for the pivot would sometimes loosen up, but it that happened over many jumps, and a quick tighten once a week was fine.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

Unfortunately I have found the go-pro 3+ battery back pack to be absolutely useless, but that is unrelated to the handicam setup.

Don't know what problems you were having, but you can actually fit a GoPro 2 battery pack on the 3+ as well, did you know that?

I really love the Pivot Pad, the ease of use and the protection it gives. My only gripe is the sound level (related to changed microphone location on the 3+ that requires another hole to be drilled). I would also love for the camera to be sitting more forward on the base so it wouldn't capture as much of my hand and arm (especially in superview), but there's not much that can be done there, considering the design.

I found that it didn't increase the battery life at all, and if the battery back pack was dead, the camera wouldn't turn on even with a fully charged internal battery.

Maybe defective?
=P

I am sorry to say, but I am astonished that skydivers (and tandem handymen) even looking at the Pivot Glove. Guys, we are skydivers first and cameramen second. Does anybody see the pivot as skydiving hazardous device? Does anybody considered how easily the pivot can be entangled with anything?
Maybe I am old and conservative, but remember that "There are not bold and old skydivers" (C).
I am handyman myself. I see the camera on my left palm as the potential hazard and I am paranoid about it. Just try to think about bad exit and a bridle deployment at a wrong moment or other extreme situation and ask yourself : "Do I need this adventure for the sake of a better angle?"

Have you had a unit in your hands to inspect?

I think it is well designed, the pivot is recessed and has virtually no gap.

I don't think you are any more likely to snag a bridle than any other of the other purpose built gloves on the market. It is much more snag resistant that earlier gloves like the Cookie glove that uses the standard housing.
=P

I do not see what you are talking about. Every glove I have ever used has way more snag points than the Pivot Glove. I think the Pivot glove is an extremely well engineered and well made product. I can not find any issues with it and I am left wondering how they could make it this good for the price as they do.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

tonyhays

+1

The only problem I found is when your camera locks up. Getting the back off to take the battery out is very time consuming.

I appreciate everyone's input about my gloves.

I know what you're referring to here Tony, and I have been thinking the same for a while. New versions of the double-cam back covers are near completion. They're as easy to remove as the single-cam housing's back cover. I'm just waiting on a couple small tweaks to the molds, then test, then shoot. I'm hoping to have a large batch of them on hand at PIA, free to trade out for anyone who brings in old back covers.

It'll still be a bit of a hassle when your GoPro freezes in the plane, because you still have to remove the housing's back cover and keep track of it, remove the camera, then its batt cover, then its batt. (So now you're holding on to at least 5 separate parts and trying not to lose any). But at least now it will require only an easy push on the tabs to release them, without sacrificing camera security.

I've considered adding a pushbutton circuit break between the battery and its connectors on each of my cameras because 2 of them need batteries pulled every time I charge them, or they won't take a charge.

Chris

TheCaptain

I am left wondering how they could make it this good for the price as they do.

Honestly, it took quite a while to break even for all the time and $$ spent on tooling and design needs. Part of that was because I didn't know how to be more efficient yet. Now I know ways to optimize designs better, reducing tooling fees by a lot. It's been a great learning experience for me.

Chris

It'll still be a bit of a hassle when your GoPro freezes in the plane, because you still have to remove the housing's back cover and keep track of it, remove the camera, then its batt cover, then its batt. (So now you're holding on to at least 5 separate parts and trying not to lose any).

I have left off the battery cover for my GP3 just for that reason. The battery backpack keeps the GP battery in place just fine. Even if I didn't have the backpack on I'd be willing to wager the foam padding behind it keeps it locked in.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

I went ahead and got one and love the ease of use. I have about 10000 handcams and recommend your product highly. Can see how it would be a little time consuming taking the back cover off when a cam freezes but the benefits of having the cameras sealed and the buttons on the box eliminate the major problems that I have found using Gopros. Thanks for a great product.
Go big!