Clonedbeef

Vertical tandem no drogue

Non-Americans: Cute. Yawn.

Some Amurricans: Oh, the humanity! What about the lawyers! The whole industry will die! Pull their ratings! Waterboard them!

At least going drogueless prevents anyone from dancing around on the tandem's back, holding the drogue bridle. See, it's for safety.

I've seen tandem sit fly. I've seen transition from sit to HD. front, back and cartwheel.

I've seen 6 way tandems. 3ti and 3 passenger chucking out head down round.

I've seen atmo, like the video.

Only thing I haven't seen done is tandem back tracking.
Who is up for that challenge? I say it is kinda impossible unless the passenger is a proficient skydiver as well.

What is the worst that can happen? Drogue wrapped around the bridal when Ti pitches drogue at 7000 ft? I've seen that too :D

Bernie Sanders for President 2016

it looks like with today's soft opening canopy taking any time at all to slow down after you go belly to earth has completely falling out of fashion:S

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Only scary thing about going tandem terminal is accidental reserve opening. Which is rare but it can happen.

You are a dumbass if you don't slow down before you throw the drogue and release.

You stop doing vertical work by 8-7.5, flatten out and get big. By getting big you can slow down to 135/140 mph. Which is fast but an acceptable opening speed for any parachutes out there. Once you slow down you further slow it down by throwing out drogue and then you release.

If you aren't sure that you have skills to follow above protocol, you have no business going drogueless.

What is more scary is that there are ton of Ti who can barely control himself and student on belly-to-earth and continuously rely on drogue to get themselves stable. If drogue weren't there like early 80's, these Ti would not be able to feed themselves.

stayhigh

Only scary thing about going tandem terminal is accidental reserve opening. Which is rare but it can happen.

You are a dumbass if you don't slow down before you throw the drogue and release.

You stop doing vertical work by 8-7.5, flatten out and get big. By getting big you can slow down to 135/140 mph. Which is fast but an acceptable opening speed for any parachutes out there. Once you slow down you further slow it down by throwing out drogue and then you release.

1. A deployment of EITHER canopy at tandem terminal could prove to be a problem.

2. Tandem belly terminal = 135/140 mph? Sounds a *little* slow

3. Why would you advocate slowing down to belly terminal first after being head down and then tossing the drogue? The drogue can be deployed as soon as the tandem pair is belly-to-earth and doing so would result in reaching drogue-fall terminal much quicker.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

If you just throw the drogue at high-speed, the drogues tend to last only about 200-300 jumps.

So you go from vertical termial to belly drogueless terminal then you toss the drogue.

Ti needs to get actively get flat and big in order to fly at 135-140 mph with a passenger that weighs less than 125,130 lbs.
I've seen multiple cameraflyers flying comfortably on their belly with a tandem pair without a drogue.

You don't just go drogueless with anyone. Student has to be right size. If they are bigger than 135 it is going to be very difficult and it is more work than fun.

Key is to tell student NOT to arch. Once they arch it is over.

The best body positioin for student is to have them go limp out the door and tilt the students head down towards their feet so they will be staring at their feet. The air hits their back of the head and neck and it becomes another stable surface area. Kinda like your arm when you fly "Shelf".

stayhigh

Show me a bi-plane and I'll be somewhat impressed.

You mean both tandem jumpers in wingsuits, or??

I don't know the history, and I thought someone in the US was playing with it too, but here's a small photo and article (in German) from a jump at the Cochstedt boogie:

http://wingsuit.de/wingsuit-tandem-project/

Edit: But it was just a tandem wingsuit jump, not a tandem headdown wingsuit jump...

pchapman

***Show me a bi-plane and I'll be somewhat impressed.

You mean both tandem jumpers in wingsuits, or??

I don't know the history, and I thought someone in the US was playing with it too, but here's a small photo and article (in German) from a jump at the Cochstedt boogie:

http://wingsuit.de/wingsuit-tandem-project/

Edit: But it was just a tandem wingsuit jump, not a tandem headdown wingsuit jump...and it was out of a jet An-72, not a tandem An-2 :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM