Rover

Age of active TIs

When I started jumping in NZ the average age of a skydiver was around 28 and tandems weren't around.
In 3 months I'll hit 50 and the other TI I work with is 48. Both of us intend to keep jumping until we can't anymore B|
Just got me thinking, how old are TIs and are we a statistically aging group?
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Just looks sad when you see a TI over 60.

Yes it does. I usually give a choice when I brief them. They can have the old guy, the older guy, or the oldest guy.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

:D:D:D:D

Good one bro.

Jim Wallace made it look good even with the age.
Let me retract/modify what I said.

Even with an age, if you carry yourself with super positive attitude(not burnt out), you'll make it look legit.

I envy those who can jump for 10000+ jumps and not get burnt out. How do you guys do it? My light has been extinguished.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

When I was 21 years old motorcyclist I thought that a 40 years old guy on a motorcycle is sad, I mean... don't you have wife and kids, you are way too old for this shit!!!
Today I'm 47 years old TI, AFFI, wave surfer, riding my rollerblades and I'm happy, So I don't care if the young ones are sad B|B|B|
I do not think the age is the limit, I know 30 years old guys that are very old comparing a 58 years old TI I'm working with.

gilead1

When I was 21 years old motorcyclist I thought that a 40 years old guy on a motorcycle is sad, I mean... don't you have wife and kids, you are way too old for this shit!!!
Today I'm 47 years old TI, AFFI, wave surfer, riding my rollerblades and I'm happy, So I don't care if the young ones are sad B|B|B|
I do not think the age is the limit, I know 30 years old guys that are very old comparing a 58 years old TI I'm working with.

53 and there is no stopping me... Over 30 years in the sport and happy to make tandems all day! The one significant change over the years is my lack of interest in jumping when conditions are marginal. I only like to fly on days when the winds can't slap your ass to the ground.

Rover

And who / how old are the youngest and oldest?

I'm sure there are plenty younger than me, But I'm 26 and starting doing tandems at 23. Some 500 +/- in that time. The others at the dz are upper 40's and I'll tell ya what, I don't know where they get their energy.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Pacing.
Learn how to pace yourself young man.
UP until recently, I routinely out-worked TIS half my age. The key was getting my gear ready early so that I could move at a fast walk all day and not sweat too much.
Running is for TIs who do not know how to plan their day.

Rover

And who / how old are the youngest and oldest?

You're all a bunch of pups to me. I still have a huge passion for tandem skydiving after over 13K tandems. Only did 650 in 2014, though, so I must be slowing down.

Can't wait for my next jump. What a flippin' privilege!
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

linebckr83

***And who / how old are the youngest and oldest?

I'm sure there are plenty younger than me, But I'm 26 and starting doing tandems at 23. Some 500 +/- in that time. The others at the dz are upper 40's and I'll tell ya what, I don't know where they get their energy.

By this spring Mike, two of the four of us will be over 50.

It's not so much the tandems that wear me out. By Monday, I feel pretty much the same if I'd done 6 or 16 tandems over the weekend. It was still two 14 hour days, often in 100 plus heat. Doing the DZO bit, as soon as I sit down, something needs my attention. Rest in the airplane on the way to altitude!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

linebckr83

***And who / how old are the youngest and oldest?

I started at 26 and I'll be 40 this year. 8500+ tandems, and I'll tell you this, you learn about doing thing efficiently. "Work smarter, not harder" really becomes a mantra.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Last November I turned 60. I still do tandems. Personally, I think that instructors should be as old, sorry experienced, as it is possible. Instructor has to devote him or herself to the student (passenger). Young guys enrolled for the instructorship to support their fun skydiving and sport ambitions. They can be good, but a teaching for them can be a burden.
As for the age, I would like to tell that I was blessed to meet a man that did his first(!!!) jump and the age of 76, his 900-th jump(!) at the age of 90. He liked to say: "I am not old, I just was born long time ago..."

Some what related (I hope) but how old is too old to become a TI?

It seems that there are still active TIs well over 60 (hell, my TI during my student progression was in his 60s) but they all seem to have gotten their Rating in their 20-30s...

Is there an age that you guys and gals think is just too f’ing old to take the Rating Course?
"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived." Willa Cather