iwasinkheson68

hypothetical hangup.

So, you've exited last, or maybe you were the only tandem on board it doesn't really matter, you're hung up by your single point restraint. You don't have a hook knife, or perhaps dropped it in all the excitement. You're hanging out and below the aircraft. Pilot is unable to help as he is enclosed in a separate cockpit. You can't reach the buckle on your single point. Pilot has or doesn't have a bail out rig, depending on your local rules.

What do you think your options would be?

Also, in your country are single points and/or hook knives mandatory?

Also, in your country are ... hook knives mandatory?

....................................................................................

Were you watching the video from Skydive South Saskatchewan?

Most of the jump-planes (that I have worked from) had a hook-knife near the door.
Al the tandem student harnesses have pockets for hook knives. Those pockets hang directly below the TI's chin. If a n manufacturer tells you to stuff a hook-knife in that pocket, it becomes best-business-practice. SCREW LOCAL REGULATIONS. If a DZO ever told me jump without a hook-knife, he would promptly find himself scrambling to hire a new TI.

Hadnt seen the video, was just having a conversation with friends. One of the planes we regularly jump, a PAC cresco, wouldn't allow the pilot to help, so we started wondering what your options would be without a knife or anyway for someone else to release you.

I'm absolutely a fan of hook knives too.

iwasinkheson68

Do you happen to have a link to the video?

There is a link to that video in the "Safety and Training" forum.
The thread is titled "Poll: seat-belt hang-up."
About 3/4 of the way down the thread, "trigger" posted a link to a video of a tandem pair dragging under a Cessna 182 while still attached to a seat-belt.
Eventually, the pilot cut the seat-belt.

Hook knife on the leg of my jumpsuit I use most often, and a hook knife on my students harness. I am with Rob, I wouldn't go up without the knife in the student harness.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

Hook knife on the leg of my jumpsuit I use most often, and a hook knife on my students harness. I am with Rob, I wouldn't go up without the knife in the student harness.

Do you remember when they didn't have the hook knives on the harnesses? I watched the accident that made the change.

riggerrob

Cars have had auto-retract, inertia-reel and self-adjusting seat-belts for 30(?) years.
Why can't we install auto-retract seat-belts in airplanes?

......................................................................................
My lawyer just advised me not to talk about seat-belts on the interweb.

WARNING: any lawyer is free to quote anything I say on the internet provided they take a long, hard suck on my hot-knife before they quote me in court, legal papers, etc.

JohnMitchell

My lawyer just advised me not to talk about seat-belts on the interweb.

Damn, I thought that was just in the U.S. that you had to watch every legal utterance you made. It's spread to Canada, eh? [:/]

................................................................................
Yes John,

It is truly sad that ambulance-chasing lawyers have migrated north of the border. The scariest thing is that these lawyers were hired by Workmans' Compensation Board of British Columbia.

peek

***Cars have had auto-retract, inertia-reel and self-adjusting seat-belts for 30(?) years. Why can't we install auto-retract seat-belts in airplanes?

For starters, how about something like this?

https://www.gotbelts.com/non-retractable-lap-belts/m.products/78/view/24

http://www.seatbeltstore.com/product-p/ju010400.htm