cbassmnm

What is the leading cause of tandem fatalities?

From the UPT website, test for sigma tandem endorsement (not the new one) the first question is " historically, what is the leading single cause of tandem fatalities?
Then followed by: What does the vector 3 tandem system do to address this problem?

I was just wondering the answer to those questions. I'm not taking the tandem course, nor do I want to anytime soon. I was just wondering. Anyone want to shed some light?

I think they mean "out of sequence deployment", thinking back to pre-Sigma days, when there was a pin or short cable holding the pack closed, while the drogue is attached by a 3 ring nearby. Similar to what the Strong tandem still does. If the pack opened one could have the bag dancing about overhead with the drogue still attached, maybe main risers out of the covers too, a sort of horseshoe of sorts, and quite dangerous if emergency procedures were not carried out in the correct sequence.

This is opposed to the Sigma disk that both closes the pack and anchors the drogue all in one, making it very very difficult to have the bag out but drogue still attached.

Failure to Follow Procedureis the leading cause of Tandem Fatalities.

The disc and locking pin eliminate some opportunity for out of sequence deployment but do not do away with it completely and following procedure starts well before the jump on the ground and ends on the ground after the jump is complete and the student has safely left the property.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

during my TICC I was given a synopsis of all tandem-fatalities including date, gear used and analysis of what went wrong. freaking good read for that moment.
As already mention #1 was operator error = pulling handles in the wrong order.

I guess this list is still floating around somewhere
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

JohnMitchell

Thanks for the list. I watched one of those and am knew a couple of the others. Damn, that's a lot of dead people. [:/]

How can such experienced jumpers pull the handles in the wrong order?[:/]

Hi John

Take another look at the list.

A significant # of the Tms didn't have that many tandems

Do you remember the guys from the Coors team.

Two guys from the team went up together between the TM and the passenger they ea had 1000' s of belly jumps. But the TM only made a few Tandem jumps after he got his rateing, and wasn't current doing tandems.

I think after that one the option for the passenger to be able pull a handle was added.
Talk about ground rush. The poor guy in front knew something wasn't right all the way:( The TM was busy trying to figure out what to do.

They ea had multiple kids, with no life insurance.:(

Now that the tandem bucket list flood gates have opened, the TM can get lots of jumps very quickly. And should be able to stay current.
One Jump Wonder

skydiverek

Mine was much more exhaustive and didn't come from UPT
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

cbassmnm

From the UPT website, test for sigma tandem endorsement (not the new one) the first question is " historically, what is the leading single cause of tandem fatalities?
Then followed by: What does the vector 3 tandem system do to address this problem?

I was just wondering the answer to those questions. I'm not taking the tandem course, nor do I want to anytime soon. I was just wondering. Anyone want to shed some light?

We would do well to remember that the OP has no profile info and could very well be on a phishing expedition. This is NOT the forum for such a question. If, in fact, this is a legit inquiry, the OP should contact the various manufacturers or USPA and ask for a list of current examiners. All of the above opinions simply supply grist for the legal mill.
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.