daytripper419

Private tandem owners????

Was curious the current fair rates private tandem system owners are charging DZO to rent tandem system per jump? Was thinking of purchasing my own sigma set up but not sure what is fair to charge DZO . Please also include the part of the country you are located along with price per jump. I was thinking somewhere between 25-50 dollars seemed reasonable but not sure. Feel free to pm if you don't feel comfortable posting. Thanks

Generally speaking; you're going to find that opportunity more available at a 182 DZ and then its usually a 50/50 split of the tandem price to do the training, the jump, the re-pack.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

$65/jump includes packing to rent a tandem rig. Still require them to have all their ratings and medical stuff on file and I generally have to know who this person s and why they are doing it. etc. i.e. pretty much inner circle and local friends only allowed to do such things.

tkhayes

$65/jump includes packing to rent a tandem rig. Still require them to have all their ratings and medical stuff on file and I generally have to know who this person s and why they are doing it. etc. i.e. pretty much inner circle and local friends only allowed to do such things.

That's a pretty lucrative business. If I could get a bunch of rigs in rotation at those rates, I'd invest in a heartbeat.

I've rented tandem rigs before when taking relatives on jumps, etc. :)

I was getting $40-$50/jump (which included pack job) on my Sigma.

Worked out great, did the maintenance and repacks on it myself to help keep the costs down.

Bought the rig, jumped it for a season or two, then sold it for what I paid for it, the only difference is I jumped it and I actually patched a few of the holes the previous owner wasn't concerned about. (and I turned the slider the correct way... opened less like a freight-train like that)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

30-40 is a good average here in the midwest. Several places here use TI's with their own equipment to do the large weekends. You may not be able to use your stuff at your own personal DZ but definitely enough mini events with large planes every weekend that you can utilize your own gear. The DZO's are happy to have you and pay pretty decent if your willing to work. Just remember to put some of the gear rental money away for the repairs and other maintenance that you will have. I own 3 rigs and stay busy every weekend. 25-30. Add the rental with the normal pay and it is very much worth it.

Hi. Great question, and thank you for starting the discussion.

I have owned my own tandem rig since 1987. However, it is currently sitting on a shelf, having not jumped it since 2007.

Back in the day, because I could afford the purchase price and maintenance, it made sense to own.

However, today I can see no viable reason to own one, especially here in the US, especially on the coasts, and especially if one is borrowing the money to buy and thinking of it as a business.

Even the small Cessna DZ's I travel to have rigs on the shelf.

But, I keep thinking that I will luck out and find a DZ that wants to rent my rig (like I did from 2000 - 2007).

I charge a $50 per jump rig rental.

JC
JC Coldren
USPA I/E (SL, IAD, Tan, AFF)
S&TA
FAA Sr. Rigger