leafyanna

What's expected of a student during a tandem malfunction?

Not sure if this topic belongs to this forum; please feel free to move it if necessary.

Read this in the news today:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/the-amazing-survival-tale-of-thrillseeking-melbourne-man-brad-guy-who-leapt-from-14000-feet-and-had-his-parachute-and-reserve-both-fail/story-fni0fiyv-1226954611778

The incident happened last year, back then I didn't know I'd try skydiving a few months later and got addicted, so I didn't even notice it in the paper. This was the same drop zone I did my 2nd tandem at (and same operator I did both my 1st and 2nd tandem with), so kinda make me feel more related in a strange way. I totally love that drop zone. I actually got to watch their packer do the packing on my jump day and really enjoyed what I saw. Things happen and it's always good to learn from them, especially for newbies like me. I just spent two hours trying to dig up more detailed information on the forum about this incident but failed. I'm quite new here so not sure if there's been a discussion somewhere? I want to find out what exactly happened with the main canopy and why it didn't cutaway when the reserve deployed (sounds like that's what happened in the news), what went wrong to cause the main malfunction in the first place (news says it's packer's fault), what should be done to prevent/correctly rectify it.

Also, reading this brings up a question I've had for a while. What is the student expected to do - or not to do - in the event of a tandem malfunction? I've done 3 tandems so far and all that's been required of me is to keep my body position right and lift up my legs on landing. If a malfunction happens, I believe how the student reacts to it would make the situation better or worse for the instructor. Would be really helpful if the tandem instructors here want to share their thoughts on this.

Thanks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/the-amazing-survival-tale-of-thrillseeking-melbourne-man-brad-guy-who-leapt-from-14000-feet-and-had-his-parachute-and-reserve-both-fail/story-fni0fiyv-1226954611778

Made it a link for you.

You are not expected to do anything, typically you will be asked to assume the exit position as you were trained.

You may not know what has happened before you are already under your reserve.

Malfunctions like the one there in Lillydale are very, very rare.

How fucking delusional can one be? He is suing them yet "One day he hopes to meet tandem master Bill again, to swap stories with the only other man in the world who understands what happened." I'm pretty sure the only time he'll be swapping stories with the TI is in the courtroom.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

So you noticed his sexuality but I am classless for bringing it up.

Yeah, you go with that spin; let's see how many folks buy into it.

Here's my spin: You could have chosen to sound like a sensible ambassador of the sport, making a well thought-out criticism of his taking legal action. Instead, you dig in, and then dig some more, and perpetuate the whuffos' (a/k/a: potential jurors' and govt regulators') stereotype of skydivers as juvenile neanderthals who can't be trusted to be mature shepherds of the industry.

On behalf of those of us who've been trying for the past 30 or 40 years to change that: Thanks so much for your help.

I have 2000 tandems and 10 reserve rides. On most I had to respond w/o conversing with student. On a couple it was line twist that wouldn't untwist before my hard deck and I asked the student to look up and arch. Whoops! Second free fall ... No extra charge.

steveOrino

vision

They have a waiver, will be interesting to see if it stands up... they have to sign and become a member of the APF...

I agree that this guy is an ass for suing...

we all take our chances..

Have to sign a APF standard waiver and apply for the student membership with them before every jump. It specifically says you are at your own risk and no one else is liable regardless of what happens, and you have the option to buy a PA insurance (not much though). DZ has APF backing on this case, I hope it works out fine in the end... If they rule out that waiver the future will be nasty...

steveorino

I have 2000 tandems and 10 reserve rides. On most I had to respond w/o conversing with student. On a couple it was line twist that wouldn't untwist before my hard deck and I asked the student to look up and arch. Whoops! Second free fall ... No extra charge.

Not sure I want that free ride? I'll keep my mouth shut and avoid asking questions like "Are we going to die".

steveorino

Yeah!
Whatever steveorino said!!!!!

leafyanna

Not sure if this topic belongs to this forum; please feel free to move it if necessary.

Read this in the news today:

The incident happened last year, back then I didn't know I'd try skydiving a few months later and got addicted, so I didn't even notice it in the paper. This was the same drop zone I did my 2nd tandem at (and same operator I did both my 1st and 2nd tandem with), so kinda make me feel more related in a strange way. I totally love that drop zone. I actually got to watch their packer do the packing on my jump day and really enjoyed what I saw. Things happen and it's always good to learn from them, especially for newbies like me. I just spent two hours trying to dig up more detailed information on the forum about this incident but failed. I'm quite new here so not sure if there's been a discussion somewhere? I want to find out what exactly happened with the main canopy and why it didn't cutaway when the reserve deployed (sounds like that's what happened in the news), what went wrong to cause the main malfunction in the first place (news says it's packer's fault), what should be done to prevent/correctly rectify it.

Also, reading this brings up a question I've had for a while. What is the student expected to do - or not to do - in the event of a tandem malfunction? I've done 3 tandems so far and all that's been required of me is to keep my body position right and lift up my legs on landing. If a malfunction happens, I believe how the student reacts to it would make the situation better or worse for the instructor. Would be really helpful if the tandem instructors here want to share their thoughts on this.

Thanks.

When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.

Not sure you want that free ride?
If the tandem master decides he wants it, you would actually want it!

Just out of curiosity, if you're coming to forums to chat about this, perhaps you might be interested in learning to skydive without the TM having to make the judgment calls?

Contact a DZ that does full student training and investigate further.

You've got to take any news report with a big grain of salt when it comes to the technical details of "what happened".

But the APF report seems to ask a question about how the TM handled the incident with regard to his EP's. Out of sequence EP's could be a factor here, but its possible he had a hangup or had trouble cutting away.

Thats the question that needs to be answered. It might never be, because its often difficult, if not impossible to get a definitive answer.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

ouch

Not sure you want that free ride?
If the tandem master decides he wants it, you would actually want it!

Just out of curiosity, if you're coming to forums to chat about this, perhaps you might be interested in learning to skydive without the TM having to make the judgment calls?

Contact a DZ that does full student training and investigate further.

I am in the process of doing that. But I'm a very slow student that easily gets nervous, it took me 3 tandem jumps to finally open my eyes at exit... I'm going to do my first jump course in September :)