alec86

BPA Vs USPA Tandam Rating Differences

Alright guys I was just reading another post on dropzone when I saw this posted

Lots of Brits working full-time outside of the UK just maintain a USPA rating as it's simpler / cheaper

and it got me thinking, WHAT are the differences between the two? the only one I ready know is that USPA requires 500 jumps min and BPA requires 800, so the question I ask is what else is simpler about it and what is the real differences in cost?
Spank the

For a start, working abroad you will most likely not have a bpa examiner on hand to renew your ratings, membership for uspa is cheaper, and a lot of dropzones you work for will require a uspa rating but not a BPA.

Edit to add: I'm from England but only have a USPA, NZ and UAE rating and do not hold a BPA rating.

Think that was my post :-) I had USPA AFF & Tandem ratings when I jumped in the US & europe for several years, then I got my BPA CSI & AFFI ratings and eventually moved back to the UK full time

Cheaper & easier because... USPA membership is about a third of the BPA fees, the courses cost less in the US (at least they did back when I did mine!). Higher jump numbers required to go on courses, CH coach, radio license, packing certificates etc to go on the BPA course, CCI recommendation to go on a course, requirement to do a basic instructor rating first, followed by 6 months+ of 'supervision' before your actual course. More jumps on the actual course, some would say a tougher course (I can only compare AFF & would say that was certainly true in my case... but maybe I was just 'lucky' that my examiners for USPA AFF / Tandem were more 'relaxed' than any BPA ones I've met! I've seen a few USPA courses & several BPA ones there is more variation between USPA examiners than in the UK - a small country with smaller number of examiners means the course & standards are pretty standard across the UK)

If you live outside of the UK getting & keeping a BPA rating is tough work :-) You can do a USPA rating almost anywhere in the world... you can only do the BPA one in the UK. Renewing a BPA rating requires a CCI & an examiner to sign you off each year where as you can track down a S&TA at almost any dz :-) BPA currency requirements (plus drills for tandem instructors).... I could go on :-)

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

What a load of rubbish.....

If you could come up with some actual facts it would make your statement more valid. Did you know that to get a USPA A licence is more arduous than a BPA A licence? Can you make up another fact why USPA A licence holders don't continue?

This is about tandem ratings so I don't know why you have even contributed?

To OP, I hold or have held tandem ratings for the BPA, USPA an NZ. None of them were difficult just some had more hoops than others. I jump in the UK therefore it was easier to get the rating direct rather the whole conversion route.

Decide where you want to work and get the appropriate rating for that country.
Journey not destination.....

skydog

What a load of rubbish.....

If you could come up with some actual facts it would make your statement more valid. Did you know that to get a USPA A licence is more arduous than a BPA A licence? Can you make up another fact why USPA A licence holders don't continue?

This is about tandem ratings so I don't know why you have even contributed?

To OP, I hold or have held tandem ratings for the BPA, USPA an NZ. None of them were difficult just some had more hoops than others. I jump in the UK therefore it was easier to get the rating direct rather the whole conversion route.

Decide where you want to work and get the appropriate rating for that country.

FS1....

B|;)

Skydog/Cornish Chris

Thanks for showing new people to the sport (like me)
What the Old sky gods in the UK are like.

Of course you are both right. You have 30 more years in the sport than little old me and 40 x the jump numbers.

I can't be right. I'm new. What do I know ?

15 student/A licence holders were on my packing course 18 months ago - I only know of 1 that jumps - all others have left the sport.

Not very scientific. No. But there's a lot of disillusioned jumpers in the UK and a lot of that is caused by the system (me not being one of them)

I jump in France and the USA and did my A licence in Deland.

There's a lot more fun, encouragement, progression outside the UK.

There's also a very different attitude from coaches and high number jumpers as both your replies showed.

Stay classy - blue skies

I don't think i asked the question in the way I meant and the answers I wanted, ok can i edit my question and hopefully someone who has done both could answer it, what does the tandem course for BPA and USPA involve and what are the differences, Thanks :)
Spank the

My reply had nothing to do with mine or your time in the sport. It's a reply to your one line comment that the BPA doesnt encourage new jumpers. You couldn't be further from the truth. You show no evidence to back up your claim.

The post is about Tandem ratings so there was no need for you to even participate........

Don't patronise me with the trite "what would I know" bollocks.

Just because I have done a few jumps doesn't mean I have an attitude to those who have just started it means I have experience to call bullshit when I see it.

Take your generalisms elsewhere and have a pity party with them.
Journey not destination.....

skydog

My reply had nothing to do with mine or your time in the sport. It's a reply to your one line comment that the BPA doesnt encourage new jumpers. You couldn't be further from the truth. You show no evidence to back up your claim.

It certainly does encourage brand-new jumpers but, to be fair (and not wanting to get drawn in myself), there are plenty of threads on UK Skydiver detailing the way the BPA discourages newly-qualified jumpers (at least, compared to other national parachute associations). It seems the main issues people have are with the FS1 requirements.

Ahhhhhhhh....yes FS1 (that I have) [crazy...i need to score lost of points to jump safely] Its ok for me though because I can chuck money at it - but your average joe cant. So they end up jumping solos...then get bored...and leave.....

No statistics - no clever presentation of the numbers needed - just first hand at a busy DZ since i've been there for the past 2 years.

*500 to jump a wingsuit VS 200 in the USA
**200 jumps for camera vs 100 in the USA

And our American cousins wonder why we like turing up on US dropzones :P God Bless America and US Drozones ! :ph34r:

shorehambeach

Thanks for showing new people to the sport (like me)

Of course you are both right. You have 30 more years in the sport than little old me and 40 x the jump numbers.

It's interesting that you put those words into their mouths. Neither of them said any of that stuff - they just (bluntly) said you were talking crap, and suggested you back it up with facts. One of them pointed out that this thread was about tandem ratings and that you were not contributing to the topic.

In response, you resort to name calling and cheap rhetorical shots.

Truly, this is the way to change the world. You're on the right track mate, I can feel skydiving getting better already.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

shorehambeach

**200 jumps for camera vs 100 in the USA

To be perfectly accurate, there's no "100 jump" requirement in the US. There is a 200 jump recommendation in the SIM, but it's not a BSR. Any camera rules or requirements around minimum jump numbers are only individual dropzone rules and based on my observations, seem to vary widely from DZ to DZ.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There are manufactures rules for camera flyers on tandems. I believe one must be Tandem or AFF qualified to fly video on tandem(minimum 500 jumps). That said this is busted all over the place. I personally think it is appropriate and refuse to jump tandem with a less experienced video flyers.
Its about decision making and someone flying camera too soon shows me generally that they are willing to rush and make poor decisions and I do not want that person on my tandem skydive.

As to the OP i have no idea about Tandem ratings other than the US. I suppose All are easy enough to pass if you can fly well and read the manual and have the ability to put the welfare of another before your own.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Joellercoaster

***Thanks for showing new people to the sport (like me)

It's interesting that you put those words into their mouths. Neither of them said any of that stuff - they just (bluntly) said you were talking crap, and suggested you back it up with facts. One of them pointed out that this thread was about tandem ratings and that you were not contributing to the topic.

In response, you resort to name calling and cheap rhetorical shots.

Truly, this is the way to change the world. You're on the right track mate, I can feel skydiving getting better already.

Really ? Thank you.

I need say no more.

:)