chriseidan

uspa tandem rating

Depends on how liberal your course director is with the requirements. I have seen people use their first tandem as their starting point which was followed by a long break before actual sport jumping started. :S

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Some of us who are concerned about the current state of the instructional corps (insert rolled eyes) have proposed (to the USPA among others) making the 3 year requirement start with the issuance of an skydiving license, but that's fallen on deaf ears.:|

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

diablopilot

Some of us who are concerned about the current state of the instructional corps (insert rolled eyes) have proposed (to the USPA among others) making the 3 year requirement start with the issuance of an skydiving license, but that's fallen on deaf ears.:|

I'd sure agree with that! Too many wanting to be Instructors as soon as they can rather than wanting to be the best instructor they can be!

steveOrino

steveorino

I'd sure agree with that! Too many wanting to be Instructors as soon as they can rather than wanting to be the best instructor they can be!

X1000!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It comes from the FAA.

FAR 105.45 "Has a minimum of 3 years of experience in parachuting, and must provide documentation that the parachutist....."

Even that does not really say what it is. "Parachuting" could be a lot of things. First tandem, first BASE jump, using a paramotor ect.. Every IE you ask will say something different so it comes downs to who is teaching the course. I just did my AFF/SL/IAD courses and was told then it was from your first jump, any jump. Putting a blanket 3 year time frame on it is kind of useless anyway.

SkymonkeyONE

***I would have to assume 3 years from the time your uspa membership started.

Negative. It's from the time of your first jump of any type. It does not specify anything about being a USPA member.

Morning, Chuck

I went thru the TI program in 2003 when the USPA had just developed the USPA TI Program and one had to get both the TM & TI. My course was at Spaceland and the then IE had me bring my logbooks and wanted to see consistent jumping in the past three years.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It wouldn't matter to me, as I'm not conducting a course for a 3-yr, 500-jump person anyway. Unfortunately, I suspect that this might put me in the minority.

While it may be an unfair generalization, I have long considered the 50 - 1000 jump person to be squarely in the "dead zone.'' i.e. the teenager of skydiving; immortal, unapproachable, knows it all, etc. I have met many jumpers who do NOT exhibit these qualities, but many more who do.

It's just not worth it to me.
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

Interesting opinions here. Mine is that the only way to get good at something is to do it a lot. And the sooner you start, the sooner you will get good at it. I applaud anyone that wants to get into instructing and will help them do it. But with the understanding that a less experienced instructor will require more guidance in the beginning.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Deisel

. Mine is that the only way to get good at something is to do it a lot. And the sooner you start, the sooner you will get good at it. I applaud anyone that wants to get into instructing and will help them do it. But with the understanding that a less experienced instructor will require more guidance in the beginning.

But if you're going to take another human being on a parachute jump, there is a certain level of ability that MUST be attained first. There's always "learning on the job", even for the most experienced jumper. But the gross mistakes of the inexperienced should not be played out with paying passengers.