Goodfellas

What's the Faa's policy on Ash dives

Ash dives aren't approved by the FAA because we don't ask them for approval because we don't have to. The FAA is not in the ash dive approval/disapproval business. All they say is:

"Sec. 91.15 Dropping objects
"No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property."

-Mark

normiss

Also, PLEASE remove the metal serial numbered tag inside the bag o' dust so as to not include it on the ash dive. They are 1000% traceable.]

Oh, my! I didn't know there was one of those in containers of ashes. Do the people who provide the service tell the relatives about that tag?

My mom passed a few years back .... my family is pretty much straight up, no holding back.
So in our discussions with the funeral home....we wanted to know a few things.

I wanted to know the cheapest way to roast my body to ashes so my friends could get the last jump in with me...
Oh the looks on their faces. They were floored to know that we do this. (this coming after a few years ago when I had them perform my best friend's outlaw biker funeral where we started his bike that he died on IN the funeral home).
So anyway, I got the rock bottom price of $1200, in an unmarked cardboard box, plastic bag inside with my dust in it, tag to be handed to person receiving ashes IN HAND.
;-)

Yes there is a tag with every bag of ashes.
Funeral home name and license number, as well as the container ID which is fully traceable.
I'm not sure if this is fully disclosed when you pick up the ashes though.

I can tell you that Utah and Idaho require the tags accompany the ashes. In the situations I've had experience with, the tags were part of the bag, not contained inside the ashes. I'd imagine it varies from home to home both in practice and type of tag. The tag is attached to the body prior to cremation (ankle, based on one of my experiences).

https://www.affordablefuneralsupply.com/cremation/crematory-tools/i-d-tags/

The tags I've seen are round, not pentagon-shaped.
And yes, they're heavy, about the weight of a 50cent piece.

I'd suggest not asking. I knew someone who had a business scattering ashes from an airplane in CA. Even though.the.feds control the airspace there were other regulations that inhibited where he could scatter cremains. IIRC he pretty much had to go out over the ocean. But.he was doing it commercially so everyone knew what he was doing. Some land owners would not like the idea that they might land on them, even if they really blew away.

Don't argue jurisdiction with me. Just saying he couldn't dump them anywhere he wanted.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

as a side note to this thread...I have a question...

Is it permissible ? is it logical ? is it acceptable ??
to scatter ashes of a friend or loved one...... In MORE than One place???

i.e. some in one location and some in other locations....IF the departed has expressed those wishes, prior to passing.??

I could see many situations where a person may want to
"spend eternity" in and around a few places of importance to them....not just One.:|
Do certain religions, Catholic for example, have any position on this concept??? Fact IS.... Catholics may frown on cremation altogether..... Though things have been changing in the past few decades...
Personally I could see SOME of my ashes scattered during a skydive, but since skydiving is NOT my ENTIRE focus, in this world, how about some, Also scattered at other significant places of my choosing.....FAA approval or NOT ;)
Just wondering....

jmy

I've got some buddies STILL taking a friend's ashes to the major baseball stadiums. :)
My understanding of major league ball parks is that this is specifically forbidden, and they have had some challenges.
Two of them were almost arrested in Boston.
:D

I see... are they Scattering the ashes at these parks??/ maybe just a pinch at a time.... or are they Attending the games , but keeping the ashes intact...
To my way of thinking,,, there is NO need to divulge what is going On... to anyone... least of all an usher, or ticket taker or Anyone affiliated with the ballpark..:|
It sounds like a novel, and good quest, to undertake, in the memory of the person who has passed...
only jeebbbus...:o DON't advertise it !!!! TOO loudly, :S WHILE you're doing it !!!
right???

Still curious for input and opinions regarding keeping all the cremains Together..... as compared to multiple locations for any scattering of the ashes of loved ones........
As for Boston.....sounds MORE like, THREE, " were almost arrested " ;)

jmy

Their goal is to leave some of him everywhere he wanted to be.
It's kinda cool...somewhat odd too.

I've always been curious what jumpers do with the remaining remains of the cremated person. We don't use ALL of the ashes on ash dives. That might last longer than smoke. :P

The last ash dive I did we used a small sized freely tube and actually used all of the ashes. With the ashes packed in the middle it was a big package but once you let go of the upper end all the ashes blow out the top and it looks pretty spectacular from the ground. It also keeps the ashes out of the face and gear. The hardest part about ash dives is organizing who is on the load.

"all gone " Yes,:( but if correctly planned , can't a small amount be left to allow for "being in Many places of importance " to a persons history....??:|

If someones' declared wishes, are to be, " a little here a little there, some tossed upon the wind, some sprinkled at geographic places of significance, maybe a small amount saved in the perpetual care of loved ones "...then it seems to me to be a noble gesture and one which can only be accomplished with the help of Family & Friends...

I'm simply curious about the Acceptance or lack thereof of that sort of idea.... Do "conventional wisdom /legal ramifications/ common practice " have any position on this matter????

jmy

Hi Jimmy, I have also thought about this. Having ashes deposited in a few different locales.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Not sure about the policies of any religion though.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

thanks guys..
SOME of Us,,;) have already applied for a CopyRight/Patent!! ....
On "better to ask forgiveness, than permission " :)With LOTS of extensive Field Work, ;) on which to base the request!!!! :o hahaha

I'm thinking , like rick that it Is an interesting idea, and may someday implement it myself , and so was just hunting for feedback on if it's a commonly considered practice...or instead, for ANY reason,,, is NOT a good idea....
(YES, i DO sometimes have BAD ideas !! :S:S ) Hard to believe, isn't it ???? B|

as for the FAA, you ARE correct normiss.. The less said, the better.!!

councilman24

I'd suggest not asking. I knew someone who had a business scattering ashes from an airplane in CA. Even though.the.feds control the airspace there were other regulations that inhibited where he could scatter cremains. IIRC he pretty much had to go out over the ocean. But.he was doing it commercially so everyone knew what he was doing. Some land owners would not like the idea that they might land on them, even if they really blew away.

Don't argue jurisdiction with me. Just saying he couldn't dump them anywhere he wanted.

Can't legally dump them in Ca. waters. Took the Catalina Express to dump my sons' ashes on the way. Capt. said no, BUT he said do what I have to do he didn't want to know. Said he wouldn't slow the boat down tho. Off the transom he went but not without ashes flying everywhere first.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I know different places where I want my ashes to be spread...
It will take some time to spread them actually :)
Oh yeah also I have my organ donor card filled, so I hope they will fill me with wood so there is enough ashes :D:D:D

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM