airtwardo

What's going on here?

Been a while since I've done any Tandems...but am I seeing a really poorly fitted student harness (laterals especially) and the consequences...or is something else going on?

http://iloveskydiving.org/view/videos/friday-freakout-skydive-tandem-instructor-punches-tandem-student-in-freefall/

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Deisel

What's going on here is assault. Not sure if I'd call a lawyer or kick his ass. Best case is that he ONLY loses his rating.

Is he whackin the student... or just trying to get the harness back over the shoulder? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Looks pretty clear to me that the TI is punching the passenger. A technique that I've heard around the bonfire is to give a quick jab in the kidney. It'll get your passenger to arch more. Looks like this guy was trying to get the passenger to adjust body position through pain compliance. The fact that the TIs initial concern was the passengers legs indicates to me the he wasn't concerned about the harness. Just my guess.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

airtwardo

Been a while since I've done any Tandems...but am I seeing a really poorly fitted student harness (laterals especially) and the consequences...or is something else going on?

Was a busy day at the dz and a couple TI's were making back to backs, so they asked me to harness a student up. It's a Strong DZ but I was a Sigma rated TI. Harness is a harness and we would normally just rough fit it for the instructor to look over and snug up as they saw fit.

This instructor actually stopped and asked me if it was my Sigma harness because it fit the student so much better than the Strong harnesses... It was a Strong harness...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Deisel

Looks pretty clear to me that the TI is punching the passenger. A technique that I've heard around the bonfire is to give a quick jab in the kidney. It'll get your passenger to arch more. Looks like this guy was trying to get the passenger to adjust body position through pain compliance. ...

................................................................................

Pain compliance does not work with the stupidest of students.
The dumbest/toughest students just turn around and punch you back!

As you can see in the video, the instructor was trying to prevent a very dangerous tandem side spin, caused by the passenger's bad legs position. And the TI was unsuccessful in preventing that, and then had to pull early while in a high-speed sideways spin. How many line twists wrapped up during that spinning deployment? Was he able to clear them? People have died from that situation. So if you have to punch someone to prevent things from getting that bad, while that's ugly, it's not as ugly as; a side-spin / loss of consciousness / low AAD fire, or; high opening / line twists / cut-away / reserve ride.

That's the other side of the story, which needed to be said, since the trend here is going to be to skewer the TI.

This video, to me, is rife with "indications" that this TI just may have some "issues". [:/]

Did anyone else notice, or take the very start of this video, where the TI is "maneuvering" a completely different student in the door, as I am as well? ...If this TI does have as much "anger issues" problems in dealing with his students/passengers as I am anyway reading into this from only just this one video posting (unfair to completely conclude) - some very real self assessment on his vocational choice is at the very least, clearly in order.

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

This is an old video. Happened 3 years ago. I know this guys personally. Upt and uspa took his rating for a year, during which time he underwent weekly therapy. At a board of directors meeting 9 months later he appealed the suspension, took full responsibility for his actions and gave his deepest appologies and promises that it would never happen again. The USPA board of directors and Bill Booth voted unanimously to forgive him and give him another chance. Jay Stokes himself re-trained him and he's done over 1500 tandems since with nothing like this happening again.