risktaker

floatation devices for real?

No. It's not for real.

There is no FAR regarding floatation devices for skydivers. None at all. FAR 105 covers skydiving, nothing in it at all.

There is a USPA BSR that covers them. But it only applies to jumpers with round canopies or solo students, not tandems.

I don't know if there's a Mass DOT rule on it, but if the state was dumb enough to pass one, it's not enforceable.
Skydiving is an "aeronautical activity." The FAA has full authority to regulate it. In order to prevent a confusing and conflicting patchwork of rules, and to prevent states from passing stupid or unduly restrictive rules, the FAA has the only authority to regulate it.
Any state law that is passed is not enforceable.
This has been tested many times in court.

The FAA has always won.

So, there is an answer to your question.

Now, who are you?
And why do you ask?

We've seen "you" before. And a lot of others like you.

Ambulance chasers hoping to get a big settlement, despite an ironclad waiver.

Stupid and selfish people who bought a house right by the airport because it was cheap, who then decided that they didn't like the noise and want the airport to go away.

Or someone with a different agenda.

Very rarely is it simply someone who wants to know for the sake of knowing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

risktaker

... As for sucking on...hot knives, we don't do that kind of thing down here. Each to their own as they say.

...................................................................................

I was being rude.
Try to picture a lawyer sucking on a HOT soldering iron.

wolfriverjoe

No. It's not for real.

There is no FAR regarding floatation devices for skydivers. None at all. FAR 105 covers skydiving, nothing in it at all.

There is a USPA BSR that covers them. But it only applies to jumpers with round canopies or solo students, not tandems.

I don't know if there's a Mass DOT rule on it, but if the state was dumb enough to pass one, it's not enforceable.
Skydiving is an "aeronautical activity." The FAA has full authority to regulate it. In order to prevent a confusing and conflicting patchwork of rules, and to prevent states from passing stupid or unduly restrictive rules, the FAA has the only authority to regulate it.
Any state law that is passed is not enforceable.
This has been tested many times in court.

The FAA has always won.

So, there is an answer to your question.

Now, who are you?
And why do you ask?

We've seen "you" before. And a lot of others like you.

Ambulance chasers hoping to get a big settlement, despite an ironclad waiver.

Stupid and selfish people who bought a house right by the airport because it was cheap, who then decided that they didn't like the noise and want the airport to go away.

Or someone with a different agenda.

Very rarely is it simply someone who wants to know for the sake of knowing.

+1

REKT

It appears that the appropriate direction to find the answer has been provided, so at this point I am going to lock the thread unless there is some compelling reason to unlock it. If there is, send me a message and I will reopen it.
Namaste,
Tom Noonan

www.everest-skydive.com