flipwithit

tandem gloves. while gearing up etc

Depends, I have under armor cold gear receiver gloves, and I also have neoprene white water kayak gloves.

I am jumping a 182 so I have a little bit of time on my side.

Usually I keep them stuffed in my jump suit neck, and gear up, and then put them on. My altimeter is on a wrist band, and the camera glove I am using is just a pad with one strap to tighten. I can gear all up, throw on the gloves, and then slip the camera mount back on.

I just like hooking up without gloves if at all possible.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

under armour cold gear gloves and neoprene gloves are great.

I've also found that you can find some pretty good gloves at backpacking stores, they tend to keep them thin and lightweight as well as warm, water and windproof. All stuff a backpacker needs as well as a skydiver

I just got a pair by seirus, they were $35 so about the same a under armour and they work pretty well

Old trick.... Put a pair of medical gloves on first, then regular numan type gloves.

Don't put them on too early. And don't wear them long after you land.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

thanks for the replies guys...

ron that trick definitely works pretty good. im just more into getting all my cold weather gear on as we taxi. in back of the 182 i see my breath all the way to altitude on a cold morning/day.

however i think i found what i was looking for. snowboard pipe gloves.

buckwheatzulu

I stop doing tandems when it gets cold enough to need this type of gear.

I can deal with the cold, but how about the passenger?

IMHO they are oblivious. Or at least they sure seems that way when they show up a cold as balls day giddy and wired, and all of the TI's are freezing and generally disgruntled.

I tell them it is going to be cold, but they showed up, they want to go!

I put them in gloves, maybe a neck gaiter. Otherwise you aren't exposed for long enough for it to matter. Face and ears get cold, but they warm back up.

Thank God we stop in early November! :|
=P

Ron

Old trick.... Put a pair of medical gloves on first, then regular numan type gloves.

Don't put them on too early. And don't wear them long after you land.

I have jumped in extremely cold areas and this is the way to go!Like Ron mentioned wait to put them on till the last minute. Doing tandems I usually hang my gloves on the back of the harness and hook them up, once they are hooked up gloves go on. I have landed had my wife grab my hands after I took my gloves off and mine were warmer than hers and she was on the ground the entire time. Latex gloves for the win!

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

JohnMitchell

I like to use those little handwarmer packets in regular baseball gloves for winter jumping. Of course, the Pac NW isn't as cold as much of the country. Back in my Utah days, I would jump in ski gloves, but this was before I had a tandem rating.

A TI that I jump with decided to put some of those chemical warmers near the back of his jumpsuit to add a little more warmth.

What he didn't consider is that all of the extra airflow from freefall would heat the packs beyond their normal temp, and this combined with trapping heat between the container and his back, would lead to pretty nasty burns!
=P