FreeflyIndian

What's the real cost of a tandem rig per jump?

Hi guys

I'm trying to understand the real cost of tandem gear. We all know there's the purchase price, and reserve repacks, but what other expenses related to the gear throughout its life? What are the parts that wear out and how often do they need to be replaced? E.g. What is the lifespan in jumps for the following items: drogues, main canopies, canopy relines, other??? How often would one do maintenance type work to harnesses or the container and what kind of work would this be?

Thanks
RM

This should give you a start.

Here is a quote from the Owner’s Manual For packing and Maintenance of Dual Hawk Tandem System

http://www.strongparachutes.com/docs/Tandem/DHT_2012.pdf

The expected service life of the Strong Enterprises Dual Hawk Tandem Parachute System components
are as follows:
Component Expected Service Life
Harness/Container/Student Harness 2000 Jumps
SET-400-366 main canopy 1200 Jumps
Master and T520 main canopies 1200 Jumps
Drogue 1200 Jumps
Lines on main canopy 400 Jumps
Master Reserve 20 Deployments
Lines on reserve canopy 20 Deployments

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

So far there is not that much market left anymore for a tandem independent owner...at least here in North America.
Hi RM

This brings me to my next question.
Since you're neither TI or DZO...
Why?
Because there is a lot of parameters to be considers...a lot.
It's like if a pilot with 300h of flight want to know how American Airlines do there maintenance and what is there cost /h !!!

If it is very important to you...then let me know.

Thanks

Richard
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually part of the management that runs a dz here in SA. These questions are related to our business decisions and strategy for our operations going forward, hence I'm asking these questions. I'm also going to pm you in case you prefer to discuss these details off the forum.

Many thanks
Ria

I'll take a wild ass stab at it. For the sake of argument, if you put 1000 jumps on a tandem rig over the course of one year, $15/jump would equate to $15,000 which is in the neighborhood of what a new system would cost. You'd need to replace main lines, the drogue, a couple of repacks, etc., so throw in another $1000. At the end of that year, depending on how many times the rig was slid in, environment, etc., you could sell it for $5,000 to $10,000. So, depending on a whole lot of factors, I'd guess somewhere in the $7 to $20 per jump range.

If you could purchase a rig, and rent it for $30/jump. And that rig was used 1000 times over the course of one or two years. Well, that math isn't all that difficult either.

Maybe that's why DZOs typically prefer to own the rigs, as opposed to paying someone else $30 or more to rent?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

FreeflyIndian

Hi guys

I'm trying to understand the real cost of tandem gear. We all know there's the purchase price, and reserve repacks, but what other expenses related to the gear throughout its life? What are the parts that wear out and how often do they need to be replaced? E.g. What is the lifespan in jumps for the following items: drogues, main canopies, canopy relines, other??? How often would one do maintenance type work to harnesses or the container and what kind of work would this be?

Thanks
RM

All of this information is available in each of the respective mfgrs manuals. Just for kicks, I did a thorough analysis of this a few years ago, and I came up with $22-25/jump. Many of the responses I have seen ignore lots of costs. There are costs associated with AADs (four-year, battery, etc. not to mention purchase), then there are repack costs unless you are a rigger, not to mention the pack job for every single jump. Many of these can be performed by the owner, who would then not be JUMPING the rig i.e. making money. All in all, it's a loser. Having said that, I suspect that there is not one compliant operation in America vis-a-vis cycle times for all of the components. Now all of the "not me" (living in denial) responses, flame away.
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

Ria,

Lets work a 2000 jumps average for harness change, so I can round the rest into that figure.
1200 for drogue, main
400 for lines

I am not clued up on the prices, but you can put the variables into the calculation. I worked with what I saw on the classifieds section, and thumb sucked.

Sigma complete: $14250/2000=$7.125 per jump
AAD: $1520/2000=$0.76 per jump(Vigil, so no service)
Lines: 5 x $400 = $1 per jump (Uncertain of price)
Main: 1.67 x $4000 = $3.34 per jump
Drogue: 1.67 x $400 = $0.34 per jump
Reserve repack @ $50 avg every 200jumps = $4 per jump
New setup for the next 2000 jumps, add line 1 and 2.

Totals: $16.56/jump ( no replacement of gear )
Total to replace gear for another 2000 jumps: $24.45

You should be able to sell the gear at the end of the 2000 jumps to make for the difference in price between now and then, and possibly a dash of profit.

Now you add to that:
Repack after every jump, that varies much
insurance
terrain and landing habbits for repair work.

Sounds like $30....
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Your math is backwards on the Reserve repack, its also $60 at least for a Tandem repack. Also a new drogue is $500-600.

Reline is going to cost about $350 to $500 depending on if its done locally or sent off for reline.
Drogue pouch needs replaced every 700-1000 jumps at cost of $70-$100 for parts or installed
Loop needs replaced every 200 jumps at a cost of $11 ($2-3 if you make it yourself!)

The other costs that need to be figured in are the cost of lost parts in case of a cutaway.
Cutaway handles are around $60
Reserve handles are around $80
Freebag and PC - $265

Optionally you need to consider these costs also in the case of a lost main:
Main bag - $130
Risers - $230
Main - ????
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com