Ray_Ray

Finally did my first jump!

I finally jumped yesterday tandem at 13,500 ft and I must say its hard to describe the emotions that went through me. it was windy and my instructor was awesome. I suffer from motion sickness and the instructor did a bunch of turns that got me sick once I told him "easy on the turns I am getting sick he stopped and had be try and glide the chute down. It was awesome and I want to do it again as I think it will be better now that I know what to expect. I have taken Dramamine on boats and it has helped do you think by taking this again and jumping I will have a better experience? I want to do it again to see if this is a hobby I want to pursue.

This thread is a good one to read.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4537402;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Bottom line, I would not take any meds, just have your instructor hold off on the crazy turns. I got sick on my first tandem, but once I started jumping with my own parachute, it all went away. Kind of like driving don;t get car sick because they are driving. Next time, be the driver!
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Ray_Ray

I finally jumped yesterday tandem at 13,500 ft and I must say its hard to describe the emotions that went through me. it was windy and my instructor was awesome. I suffer from motion sickness and the instructor did a bunch of turns that got me sick once I told him "easy on the turns I am getting sick he stopped and had be try and glide the chute down. It was awesome and I want to do it again as I think it will be better now that I know what to expect. I have taken Dramamine on boats and it has helped do you think by taking this again and jumping I will have a better experience? I want to do it again to see if this is a hobby I want to pursue.

I also suffer from motion sickness, quite terribly I might add. One thing that has completely cured me of any motion sickness is ginger root capsules. You can get them at almost any health store, or CVS/Walgreens and I have not been motion sickness once after taking a few capsules. Make sure to wait 30 min- 1 hr after taking the capsules before doing anything that would cause motion sickness to make sure they kick in.

Oh and congrats on the tandem!

Too bad the instructor didn't let you grab the toggles and steer the canopy. I let almost every student help me fly the canopy around and I think it really helps to hold off the motion sickness, putting them in control. It's safe to do, too, and I think they get more out of the jump that way. :)

JohnMitchell

Too bad the instructor didn't let you grab the toggles and steer the canopy...I think they get more out of the jump that way. :)

+1
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Now that you mention that, the only 3 that I've had that got sick to the point of vomiting both requested to not fly the canopy. Interesting.

I always tell them it's safe, you can't mess it up, and I will help. But some people just don't want to and that's fine. It does seem to help with sickness though.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52