SEREJumper

50% off Tandems = 50% off TI pay?

...and this particular DZ frequently gives away free jumps for advertising where the TI's don't get paid.

I worked at a DZ that frequently gave away free jumps for charity where I (we) didn't get paid. I've jumped with school teachers, breast cancer survivors, and veterans.

Now, we were always asked if we wanted to participate in the event, and rarely felt pressured. The DZO was often able to parlay those efforts into good publicity. What's the big deal?
Was your friend forced to jump for free? I've seen packers who were forced to clean the port-a-potties.

I guess it depends on your mentality. "Independent contractor" versus "part of the DZ"

jonathan.newman

...and this particular DZ frequently gives away free jumps for advertising where the TI's don't get paid.

I worked at a DZ that frequently gave away free jumps for charity where I (we) didn't get paid. I've jumped with school teachers, breast cancer survivors, and veterans.

Now, we were always asked if we wanted to participate in the event, and rarely felt pressured. The DZO was often able to parlay those efforts into good publicity. What's the big deal?
Was your friend forced to jump for free? I've seen packers who were forced to clean the port-a-potties.

I guess it depends on your mentality. "Independent contractor" versus "part of the DZ"

This all depends on the particulars. I've packed tandems for free occasionally when we have given away promotional jumps. I've never been asked to pack for free for those. It has always been my choice. I believe I am part of the team and want to do my part to support efforts to grow our drop zone. I would do that occasionally for charity as well.

I would certainly resent if this happened frequently and I was expected to do it for free.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

jonathan.newman

This is amusing. The division between independent contractor and part of the DZ is a sliding scale that depends only on how far you are from the tax accountant / employment lawyer versus the clogged up blue shitter. :ph34r::D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P