westcoastSD

Total weight of a strong tandem system

Hi there,

I am interested in knowing the total weight of a strong tandem rig. with and without passenger harness.

I have searched here and online and only can come up with allowed suspended weights etc...

Specifically with a Hop 330 in it? or any 330 would be sufficient.

This is in relation to an accident finding that I am dubious about.

thanks in advance for any helpful information.

cheers

Hi Thanks for the input.

53lbs/24 kg for the entire system seems a little light from my experience. Though this is from the horses mouth.

Are the student harnesses not around 5KG in themselves?

Can anyone clarify this with an actual rig? Cheers.

The finding I have is in relation to a fatal crash. The rigs were logged as weighing 15kg each... this tells me the W&B chart was bogus and this is more than an accident.

westcoastSD

The finding I have is in relation to a fatal crash. The rigs were logged as weighing 15kg each

Obviously there's more to the story than I know. But if a DZ or an investigator estimates gear at 15kg per jumper, then that will adequately cover a heavy tandem rig - when shared between 2 people on the plane. If the 15kg was supposed to be the tandem rig itself, that's another matter.

Hi,

No I have the complete finding which at this point is private and confidential.

I have had conformation from a master rigger that a strong rig with master reserve and cypres2 using a hop 330 (heavy for their size apparently) weighs...

24.8 kg and the pax harness 3.7kg total rig weight 28.5kg.

13.5 kg per rig heaver than stated on W&B [:/]

4 pax on board.

cheers for all the input.

I have weighed a strong rig with a SET 366 in it and it was 54 lbs. Didn't weigh the harness.

Passengers are always asking how much they weigh and I got tired of hearing all the different answers from the different instructors(everything from 50 to 75 lbs), so out of curiosity me and two other instructors went and weighed one.