Ray_Ray

Tipping

AliMac

I've worked manifest at a couple of different dz's. Whenever a student asks me about tipping their instructor I usually tell them that it is optional, not expected but the amount is usually within the $10-$20 range,

Sorry to pick on you AliMac - you are just one of many of a similar response....

"it's optional"
followed by
"but..........it's usually....."

about as subtle as a "tip jar" on the counter

tipping is optional in all cases - I find it unprofessional to do more than just note it's optional, and NEVER to bring it up, infer it, talk about it where customers can hear, etc etc etc

I wouldn't be surprised that these types of threads are posted on purpose - they seem to come up on a very regular basis.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

NickyCal

So now I feel like a tool. I admit to not even considering a tip when I did my tandem.

and this is why - we can do a lot of things to make someone's experience worse, even after the fact. Delighting the customer is the goal. If the base pay for doing a jump isn't sufficient, then it shouldn't fall on the customer - it should be between the instructor and the DZO.

clueless customers like me do appreciate being reminded when a tip is appropriate

Nicky - tips are NEVER "appropriate" or "inappropriate" customers have the options and no answer is wrong. You did nothing wrong or socially out of line. All you did was purchase a great experience and enjoyed a hell of a time. congratulations and please come back and try it again.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

TI's are highly trained, though perhaps badly paid, professionals, doing a very pleasurable job - when did you last press $20 bucks into your GP's hand as you left the surgery?

Bar/restaurant staff are basically slaves (see Barbara Ehrenreich's excellent 'Nickel and Dimed') doing jobs they hate because they have to. I don't see any comaprison between them and skydive instructors....

Each to there own opinion.

Your generalization on bar/restaurant staff is an great over-simplification. My wife is in that trade and does quite well and is not a slave working for minimum wage. It very much depends on what type of restaurant/bar and region you work in. If you don't like what your doing, find something else to do.

Long hours, weird schedules (sure) but yet again in the PNW, she does not get anywhere near the tips she got when we lived on the East coast.

The point is that tipping varies region to region. Country to Country. It really doesn't bother me if they tip me or not - I do the same quality service however its surprising that people don't think twice about tipping some people and not others. Visitors from other area (like vegas) will tip as they are conditioned to tipping. There are instructors/DZ that will push the point for tipping and that is rather poor form.

In the US, people are conditioned to tipping certain people who are just doing their job ( BarTender, Waitress, Barista, Shuttle Bus Driver, Bell hop the list can go on...) Why do I tip a barista for a 4 buck cup of coffee ?

I can name a large number of skydivers who are professional and just get by and working in bar would result in a pay increase.

As for your comment about tipping a GP - looking at how much I get charged for a doctor's visit - I think they are paid quite well (100 bucks payment for a 5 minute visit to tell me test results are good.... Please !!!!) I have yet to see a poor doctor (I'm sure they are out their).

skytribe

Each to there own opinion.

As for your comment about tipping a GP - looking at how much I get charged for a doctor's visit - I think they are paid quite well (100 bucks payment for a 5 minute visit to tell me test results are good.... Please !!!!) I have yet to see a poor doctor (I'm sure they are out their).

Yeah, it's not like Tandem passengers have to spend that much for a 5 min expereince.:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

NickyCal

So now I feel like a tool. I admit to not even considering a tip when I did my tandem. I think that they need to invent an app for my phone that I can point at things and it will tell me if you're supposed to tip or not! We're in farm country Midwest and I wouldn't say that tipping is a big part of the culture here. It honestly never even crossed my mind. A sign would definitely have been appreciated! For those DZ owners who don't like the idea, clueless customers like me do appreciate being reminded when a tip is appropriate. [:/]

I feel the exact same way. I didn't even notice the "Tips are appreciated but never expected" sign in the changing room until after I got my A license (maybe it wasn't even there).

I can tell you the first tandem I did, it was a company outing and I had the credit card and paid for 7 people. Had I known to tip, I definitely would have.

Now I jump with these folks frequently. Hmm, beer? Some good whiskey or scotch?
Chance favors the prepared mind.

airtwardo

Some parts of America really appear fucked up from the outside:P

It's by design...to keep out the riff raff :ph34r:
doesnt stop me :)
Ill see you in January :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

JohnMitchell

Did put $50 on the bar at Australian skydive but Ralph the CI there was so generous to an idiot like me he gave me 2 free (yes free) AFF jumps.

You got some good karma goin' there. . . B|B|

Yes very very lucky and something I feel gratitude for every time I think of skydiving.. which is often . Ralph is an amazing man one of the true gentleman in the world
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

skytribe

I have yet to see a poor doctor (I'm sure they are out their).

If you see a poor doctor they're either bad with money or not doctors anymore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

SkymonkeyONE

***20 bucks times 10 tandems in a day ... plus the pay tandem instructors get.

Yeah, I should do Tandems but I prefer getting fewer jumps and then nothing from AFF students :D

That's a misnomer, bro. I've never done a ten tandem day where I got tipped ten times; particularly not $20 a pop.... Like others on here, I've been tipped as high as $100 (in Hawaii), but what seems most common is $20. I NEVER expect a tip, no matter how awesome I thought it was or how much I had to work to safely get that 250 pound galloot to the ground in one piece. People pay a lot of money to do tandems. Some people save up for a very-long time to be able to afford it.

Ultimately, we could all use a little extra beer money for a job well done.

Chuck

I was 100% serious!!!:D .... Just in case you believe that.... Not really.

I seldom get tipped for AFF but that's probably because I'm really, really, bad at it. I HAVE literally seen 10 out of 10 Tandem a few times. I don't keep track or look but when the TI mentions it in ear shot, you noticed and say Nice job man!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Well hopefully I will be doing my first Tandem this weekend and if the instructor is cool and makes the jump fun then he/she will get tipped. I believe that in order to be tipped you should provide and above average service. Just like when you go to dinner, if all you are doing is taking my order and bringing it out then you will get the minimum. if you are exceptional at your service you will get exceptional tip. I have tipped twice 50% of a dinner check and only because the waiter was exceptional.