frogerina

Details for a curious tandem student-to-be

Daughter and hubby were "ground support" for my first tandem skydive this summer. That "once and done" (yeah, right) experience led me to signing up for AFF...I'm now working on my Category E jumps. My tandem was a birthday present...and she, after watching mine, and hearing (more than she wants to, I'm sure...) about skydiving has asked for a tandem to celebrate turning 20.

She (who takes after her mother) does better if she has some understanding of the details of an upcoming situation. I have NO intention of speaking to her about any of the instructor's part of her tandem -- but she has been excitedly asking lots of questions about the experience, how the day will go, etc.

I'm planning to email her the attached (we are a verbose couple of girls...think we will probably have written the word count of War and Peace to each other in text and email by the time she finishes college...) as sort of a "Get Ready to Learn from your TI."

Keep in mind I'm all of 8 (yes...8) jumps into this world -- my 1 tandem, and my AFF work...and I definitely respect the "parachute school" aspect is what she'll get from her TI, but wanted to give her some idea of the sensory experience and just the nuts and bolts of the day. The way she is wired, having this information will help her be able to concentrate more on the training she'll receive from her tandem instructor while she's there. I'll be doing a tandem with her as well (ah, the sacrifices we long-suffering parents make ;)) to keep her company.

So...am I stepping on any TI toes with the attached?

Please consider the skydiving center where she will be jumping. Is it a high volume tandem operation or a more intimate affair? Expectation management matters here.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

The DZ is a High Volume Tandem op that did just about 10,000 tandems last year.

This weekend is also going to be the busiest of the year since we have 4 planes flying so you might be on the Casa, Otter or one of the Caravans. Casa is a tailgate exit but the TI will walk you through any changes in the exits. The hanger is going to be extremely busy this weekend and they typically have extra packing set up to deal with the extra jumpers. Wonder around but be expecting 10X as many experienced jumpers as a normal weekend. Parking will probably also be in a different area so read the signs and stick around for the fireworks Saturday night since they do those rain or shine. Staff might be fewer this weekend since some will want to play instead of work so it might be much less time beforehand meeting (might meet them on the walk to the plane) them but that might be changed this year so play it by ear.

Enjoy the weekend, I will be getting out there tomorrow I hope.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks for posting that. I work at a high volume tandem factory. Whenever I get a passenger having a special day/experience, I feel bad since I can't really spend any kind of quality time with them. I have about 15 minutes from exit to boarding for the next load. The customer gets very little attention from the TI and should be prepared for that. It's not that we are being rude. It's a business and we just don't have the time to hang out.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Oh god, that is great. Practical advice about clothing, staying hydrated (and it's consequences) and the high probability of sitting around waiting.

And hilarious comments and anecdotes about what really goes on.

She's gonna have a ball. So are you.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Rain kept us on the ground yesterday, but an early-morning break in the clouds let us up at crack of dawn this morning.

Deisel, I appreciate your wanting to be able to give a customer an excellent experience with extra time, but being stuck with the realities (and I am so impressed with the TIs, camera fliers, AFF and coach skydivers who can keep getting on that next, and next, and next load, working with so many people!).

Kiddo did get to experience much of what I ended up writing to her -- watching a load of fun jumpers exit, and experiencing "extra breeze" (as she said) when the pilot did a second go around to get us into that one good hole in the clouds. Her TI did a great job with my only child, and she had a fantastic, well-prepared time. That smile on her face... Uh, oh.

She and her TI did end up seeing one of the fun jumpers from the load land off the DZ. Her TI explained that, since he knew I would be landing near her, he would be heading in to make sure that they had a plan for the guy who landed off. She liked the way he let her know -- "It's not that I didn't have fun on our skydive -- I did -- but I need to make sure the other guy is safe." Since she knows this is where I am working through AFF, she was beyond impressed with the fact (and the reason) that he headed in...and she, I and my TI were able to walk in together and talk and laugh back to the hangar.

My TI did a fantastic !! job of letting my tandem be a learning jump. Got to practice some turns in freefall, got great canopy instruction... All good stuff.

Deisel

I feel bad since I can't really spend any kind of quality time with them. I have about 15 minutes from exit to boarding for the next load.

But you have that 15 minutes. :)
I chat with them on the plane, show them the sights. Under canopy I coach them in flying the parachute and even teach/show them how to perform a canopy check, read the wind sock, navigate, etc. :)