Backintothesky

Level of information/education for Passengers

I mentioned to a couple of friends that I was starting skydiving again and they said they'd done a tandem in New Zealand.

But, they seemed shocked that I have always done my jumps solo (RAPS progression) and basically said "so your jumping again to take people on tandems?". Essentially they seemed to think skydiving was like bunjee jumping for the most part - a thrill ride and that skydivers just took up tandems.

Had to explain to them about relative work, freeflying, accuracy, CRW and the fact that it is a sport! Plus they had no idea that skydivers could actually fly their body in the air. :S

Obviously there's a limited amount of time TIs can spend with their passengers, but I would have thought that maybe a quick video explaining that if they liked their jump they could do RAPS or AFF and then pursue the various disciplines within the sport...

The only thing I can guess is that they jumped at a tandem factory over there and thus the TIs didn't really see the need to enlighten them.

I guess each dropzone has its own way of doing things - what do you guys do with your passengers/in the briefing? Do you explain the sport or just figure that most won't be interested in anything more than a one off?

Unfortunately, most are thrill-seekers. But we still give it away under the premise that you never know where it might end up and spark someone's interest.

And seeing as you are in the UK, they are most definitely classed as students here, and not passengers! They get some training whether they want it or not!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Even if your turning back to backs there is plenty of time to teach the student stuff!

Canopy ride is awfully long. I teach them canopy flight, I tell them about all the different disciplines and things you can do with skydiving, about boogies, about training.

What else are you going to do with all that time?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

As a non-TI, I'd like to comment on behavior of someone I consider a good TI. A good friend of mine at my home DZ -- every time I hear him greet a student, even on his busiest days, he makes them feel like they are the focus of his whole day. He is very deliberate with his instruction (student doesn't feel like it's a standard spiel), ensures the student is confident and excited about the jump. This includes answering all the silly whuffo questions that inevitably he hears dozens of times every month -- though the student would never know the question was silly or that it was the 20th time this weekend it had been asked.

Afterward, he sits with the student. The DZ gives out a folder with several items in it, and he explains each of them: certificate, info on AFF, and temporary log book. He asks for any other questions, shakes the student's hand, and says, "welcome to skydiving!" The best part of it is that he makes the STUDENTS feel like they've taken their first steps into our sport... as if he expects them to want to continue.

A-Ron is not the only instructor I've seen handle a student this way (hi, Chuck!), but I have had the benefit of watching him/working around him for years, so of course his example sticks out. :)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!