DcloudZ

Innapropriate behaviour from a TI?

I just treat male and female students identically, with one purely verbal exception...I tell guys that clearing their legstraps of anything sensitive to crushing forces is their responsibility, not mine. Beides, that, if it would be creepy for a student of one gender (or me), I don't do it with a student of either gender. Tandem jumping is an intimate activity, there's not getting around that, but it's no excuse to be a douchebag.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

livendive

I just treat male and female students identically, with one purely verbal exception...I tell guys that clearing their legstraps of anything sensitive to crushing forces is their responsibility, not mine. Beides, that, if it would be creepy for a student of one gender (or me), I don't do it with a student of either gender. Tandem jumping is an intimate activity, there's not getting around that, but it's no excuse to be a douchebag.

Blues,
Dave

Hi

Anyone remember Mr Bill Booths opposition to lowering the tandem age to 16.
And the reason why.

I haven't been at a dz in a long time but when you see one acting out of character, there could be some reasons for that.

Do they alway chew gum.
Are their pupils dilated
Do they attended safety briefing in the parking lot 20 minutes after ever hr.
Is his nose always running.

Otoh it could be someting as simple of a prescribed med dosage either up or down and his system hasn't adjusted yet.
One Jump Wonder

Krip

Anyone remember Mr Bill Booths opposition to lowering the tandem age to 16.
And the reason why.

I haven't been at a dz in a long time but when you see one acting out of character, there could be some reasons for that.

Do they alway chew gum.
Are their pupils dilated

Otoh it could be someting as simple of a prescribed med dosage either up or down and his system hasn't adjusted yet.

I've seen plenty of "adults" show up drunk, stoned or otherwise unfit to go on a tandem skydive.

16 year olds, occompanied by their parents are a lot less likely to be under the influence of anything.

But, this is a discussion for another thread.

skyfreek

That guy sounds like a real dick.even worse that he thought he was being funny and cool.if I had the displeasure if being around that, I would have been uncomfortable too. Tandem instructors are supposed to provide a fun and safe skydive to people that pay a lot of money for a half hour of fun. That kind of behavior us bad for business.

what he said
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

gregpso

***That guy sounds like a real dick.even worse that he thought he was being funny and cool.if I had the displeasure if being around that, I would have been uncomfortable too. Tandem instructors are supposed to provide a fun and safe skydive to people that pay a lot of money for a half hour of fun. That kind of behavior us bad for business.

what he said

on the plus side -

it's usually pretty easy to identify instructors that are in it for the satisfaction of providing the service/experience for the sake of the customer

vs those that are in it just for themselves

I've seen shining examples of both and REALLY appreciate you guys that do it right.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Tetrahedron

***Anyone remember Mr Bill Booths opposition to lowering the tandem age to 16.
And the reason why.

Do they alway chew gum.
Are their pupils dilated

I've seen plenty of "adults" show up drunk, stoned or otherwise unfit to go on a tandem skydive.

16 year olds, occompanied by their parents are a lot less likely to be under the influence of anything.

But, this is a discussion for another thread.

Thats your opinion check out title of the thread, don't like it go whine to a mod.
The only reason you think that is because you don't know the answer.

Groping a adult is a lot different than groping a 16 yo child.:o

If the tm is a dog do you really expect them to change because of their behavior based on their passengers age?
One Jump Wonder

davelepka

***The truth of the matter is that tandem passengers take a very submissive role with regards to the instructor. They are placing their physical bodies under the instructors control, and that's a responsibility that needs to be dealt with carefully.

Totally agree with this.

I'll give my two cents on this since I'm a recent tandem female jumper who was apprehensive about attaching myself to a man I didn't know. That first jump, when I was reading the waiver and disclosure about suing relating to sexual harassment, I wasn't expecting it and was affronted, not really considering the nature of the sport (yeah, I admit it). I even vocalized it and I'm pretty sure my tandem instructor overheard it, which I didn't realize who he was at the time. :$ Later in the disclosure, it explained why I was agreeing not to sue and I calmed down and understood. I'm sure I'm not the only woman who has reacted that way though and has those genuine concerns so for this specific TI to act in such a way is absolutely terrible. Thankfully, I know there are great guys doing this who are respectful and act professionally. My TI was probably even more so after hearing my little outburst.

It speaks volumes to women if a man steps up in situations like this and address something that is highly inappropriate. Some women have a greater sense of worth and respect for themselves and can address it but some need assistance.
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-Raymond Lindquist

Every waiver has that section a little different. But it is necessary to protect the TI from being sued for actions that are necessary to conduct the jump, and are not at all sexual harassment.

After opening I loosen and re-position the students chest strap. I tell you I am going to do it, I am careful to try to only make contact with the chest strap, but lets be realistic every once in a while you are going to brush a female students breasts.

I would hate to be sued in such an instance, but I also hate to think that this clause is giving blanket immunity for an actual groper!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

That's exactly what my TI did. He let me know at each step what he was going to do, including loosening the chest strap.

Yeah, it just depends on the guy and whether he's got enough integrity and respect to not abuse the situation intentionally. Thanks for being of them (so it seems!).
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-Raymond Lindquist