darora15

Pole instead of wrist mount

Just out of curiosity are there any tandem instructors that have used a pole to mount their go pros to instead of wrist mounting them. Maybe even letting the passenger hold the pole instead of the TM.

I just thought the pole would maybe have better angle of view; something like the go pole.
http://www.gopole.com/product/gopole-evo
Paddle faster....I hear banjo music

riggerrob

Pole vastly increases the risk of entanglement.

Screw that. Why have vidiots shooting outside video, taking up valuable space on the aircraft when we can get a long ass pole. It adds an additional element of excitement for the bored tandem master and the thrill seeking, bucket list filling student!!! :S

demoknite

bucket list filling student!!! :S

For some reason I hate that term. I keep getting these young tandem students that say its on their bucket list.

Do you have a terminal disease? No

Are you Morgan Freeman? No

They why the hell does a twenty year old kid have a "bucket list".
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

demoknite

***Pole vastly increases the risk of entanglement.

Screw that. Why have vidiots shooting outside video, taking up valuable space on the aircraft when we can get a long ass pole. It adds an additional element of excitement for the bored tandem master and the thrill seeking, bucket list filling student!!! :S

....................................................................................

Hah!
Hah!
Compared with some outside vidiots ... a pole has a low snag-risk!

There exists atleast one photo (outside perspective) of a tandem master using such a pole. The story behind it escapes me, but from my recollection it has been communicated "BAD IDEA" to the person using it.

gopoles are great for snowboarding, etc, but they have no role in tandem skydiving. (The pole itself has a wrist strap to of course prevent losing it if you drop it.)

Imagine an EP situation. If you will. After exit, the TIs right hand is trapped,or he experiences a hard pull on the drogue, cannot extract it, and must then activate the reserve, with the same hand holding a 4ft pole....while in drogue less free fall..attached to their wrist with a strap......

Or better yet.....what about a tandem bag lock? It can happen. now cutaway the bag lock, your left hand is in or reaching up for the reserve handle, while the main risers go,right past the pole and your (snag point) gopro camera. Or, you cutaway, and the risers don't release and you have to reach in and clear the risers manually, with. Go pole in your left hand, right up in the lines and risers as they release.

Not a single US based tandem manufacturer nor USPA endorse the use of a gopole type device on tandems.
Namaste,
Tom Noonan

www.everest-skydive.com

DougH

***bucket list filling student!!! :S

For some reason I hate that term. I keep getting these young tandem students that say its on their bucket list.

Do you have a terminal disease? No

Are you Morgan Freeman? No

They why the hell does a twenty year old kid have a "bucket list".

So they will get stuff checked off before they die.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

darora15

Thanks for the response. That clears up the question that I had. As for the bucket list thing, I was planning on doing one tandem only just to say I did it. The rest is history.

Well, it's like that old saying, "You build 100 bridges, and they don't call you a bridge builder. But if you suck one lousy cock, just to see what it's like, well, for the rest of your life...."

darora15

Just out of curiosity are there any tandem instructors that have used a pole to mount their go pros to instead of wrist mounting them. Maybe even letting the passenger hold the pole instead of the TM.

Yup, and I believe yup but not 100% sure on that last one - I think I remember seeing a photo like that but I also think it wasn't a 'regular' passenger.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Everybody here automatically asumes that the pole is somehow attached to the TI (which indeed would be a bad idea) and not really 'hand held' - in which one can let it go in an instant if the situation requires it.

My guess is you could even build a small round parachute inside the pole which would deploy when you let it go.

But even if you haven't chances are the pole + gopro would start to autorotate so it wouldn't be much of a danger to people on the ground either.

By the way - if it behaved like my wrist-watch did when I lost it during a tandem exit it would move UPWARDS from the tandempair... :P

Though I'm a big fan of a conservative approach and see problems and pitfalls as well as the next person - please dare to think 'out of the box' every now and then, because if we wouldn't there would not be a skydiving industry to speak of in the first place...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

A few weeks ago I wrote an article about jumping tandem with a telescopic pole stick. USPA Parachutist is not interested in publishing due to the contradiction of jumping it. I guess a few magazines, at least some European, will publish it in their coming issue. The article also tells something about the equipment, including the type of stick.

Some pics can be found at my FB page. I'm in Russia rigth now but when I'm back home I'll update the album with some more recent pics.

https://www.facebook.com/Parashoot/media_set?set=a.10201158674141854.1073741828.1019961726&type=3

Henny

** Know what you say but don't say all you know. **