DougH

Bad body position.

Ah no, the date on the YouTube video is 2010 and I have no reason to doubt that.

My point was we've been through a storm about similar practices a few years ago and thought a bit of historical context about peoples' feelings (and outcome) about such practices might be useful.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I found the video while searching for a DZ near Stone Harbor NJ. Can't find a real website for any DZ's Cape May. Does anyone know if that is a seasonal DZ that one of the bigger places runs?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Now that this thread is up, any wanna take bets on how long it takes for the vid to be taken down?
The time to save the vid to your hard drive is now.

Don't think so. looks like the youtube account thingy is owned by the guy up front, the one with his own definition of 'Arch you Maggot'

So even if this tandemjump was questionable in planning and execution (Camera point of view? You gotta be kidding me!), it is HIS proof of true heroism on youtube.

Then again, one could complain about the music... :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

This video is probably 9-10 years old. It looks like however, it wasn't posted until 2010.

FWIW, the practice of doing that sort of thing has already been addressed by USPA and the manufacturers on a macro level, I want to say in 2007, maybe 2008.

This does bring up a few excellent points though to consider in this digital universe. If something is on video it will live forever somewhere and if it ends up on the internet, it will circle the globe.

That being said, this isnt the first time a questionable practice has been published in an online video format and probably won't be the last. (I remember seeing a video a few years ago online of a tandem videographer actually docked on a tandem pair under canopy doing CRW.)

These sort of things are of course extreme examples of poor judgement that tend to raise a flag and get everyone's attention, but I would offer everyone reading this a consideration. What about the not so extreme errors in judgement we allow on video? Take handles checks for instance. All the (US anyways) tandem manufacturers train us to check our handles after setting the drogue. How many tandem videos are out there, especially hand cam videos, where the tandem instructor doesnt check his (or her) handles?

My point is simply that we, as an industry, should be considering everything we are doing (or failing to do) as tandem instructors. And what effect that will have when published for the world to see.
Namaste,
Tom Noonan

www.everest-skydive.com

How many tandem videos are out there, especially hand cam videos, where the tandem instructor doesnt check his (or her) handles?

The practice of checking your handles under drogue by phisically touching always reminded me a bit of demonstrably checking the rear view mirrors of the car during a driving licence test (i.e. in the Netherlands, if the examinator doesn't SEE you move your head towards the rear view mirrors before driving off you tend to fail the test - so every driving instructor trains all his students to move their head towards them mirrors whereas licenced drivers after a while just look in the mirrors)

Since most 'meat haulers' you see on youtube are actually at work they don't bother to demonstrate anyone that the possibility of floating handles and the merit of finding out about it early in the jump are an integral part of their 'situational awareness'

But that doesn't mean it isn't.

Just my $ 0,02

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...