davyvfr

Tandem Advice

Hello,

I am going to be tandem skydiving at my DZ but would like some advice:

1.) First, how crammed is it in the jump plane? They are using a Twin Otter for their aircraft. I have a small phobia of being claustrophibic when near a lot of people. Also, how long does it take from boarding to reaching the drop height?

2.) Secondly, when is the best month to skydive in?

I know I won't get motion sickness as I never had before and I won't get sick either.

Otter jump planes have one of two types of seating.
1) benches down each side of the walls where you'll be sitting side to side with others, all facing the middle, touching each other on the sides, and the center aisle is full of everyone's legs.
2) Two rows of foam "benches" running down the inside, one on the left and one on the right, and everyone straddles the bench facing the rear, one leg in the center, one leg against the wall, and you'll be touching each other front to rear, where "rear" means the parachute rig of the guy in front of you.

It is tight. Skydivers are used to it. New guys maybe not. You'll have to judge for yourself how bad it is for you.

Time to altitude runs 15 to 25 minutes depending upon how powerful the engines are that the plane has installed on it, and how high they climb for jump run. Oh, and there might be 5 minutes on the ground from boarding to taxiing to the end of the runway for takeoff.

Best month? Depends on the weather where you are. Summers are hot and sweaty in some places. Winters are too frigid in others. Spring and Fall are usually best, temperature wise.

prepare for lots of flaming but here are some semi-smart ass answers

1. Depends. How many people on the plane with dictate how cramped it is. It can vary from load to load. As will the climb time to altitude.

2. Depends where you live. I hear Arizona is a little warm in the summer so I would guess that isn't much fun. Likewise I hear the midwest in winter is a little chilly

You might find it better if you can get to a DZ mid week rather than a weekend when it's busy. Hopefully you can get up on a load that isn't full then. It can get cosy on a busy day.

This is the inside of a Twin Otter: http://danieljamesmurphy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/PlattsmouthSkydiving-017.jpg

If you're sat on a seat do you think you'll still have a problem? If it's an aircraft where you are sat on the floor all wedged against each other I would imagine that would be more uncomfortable for you.

ScoopUK

You might find it better if you can get to a DZ mid week rather than a weekend when it's busy. Hopefully you can get up on a load that isn't full then. It can get cosy on a busy day.

This is the inside of a Twin Otter: http://danieljamesmurphy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/PlattsmouthSkydiving-017.jpg

If you're sat on a seat do you think you'll still have a problem? If it's an aircraft where you are sat on the floor all wedged against each other I would imagine that would be more uncomfortable for you.

Thanks for the reply.

If I sat on a seat I would be just fine. From what it looks like, Skydive Arizona has benches in their Twin Otter. I don't think anyone is allowed to sit on the floor when ascending.

ScoopUK

Once you are in the air you'll have all the room in the world. That can't be beat. Just imagine that if being surrounded by sweaty skydivers is getting a bit too much.

Haha, yea, that's why I am planning to skydive when it gets a little bit cooler. Maybe in November?

Should there be icing problems or freezing temperatures during November when Skydiving?

As for how crowded the plane is, best is to call your DZ and ask them. They should even be able to plan your tandem on a moment where it's not very busy, so the plane won't be completely full.

The best month is up to personal interpretation. I personally LOVE to jump in the winter, the world is fantastic in grayscale when there's snow on the ground. It's a bit chilly, but nothing you can't handle with multiple layers of clothing (two pair of socks, jeans and thermal leggings under your jumpsuit, six t-shirts and two sweaters, silk undergloves under your normal gloves and you're good to go until -20 Celsius).

In general though, the most relaxing in terms of temperature is something like +20 Celsius. Easy on the ground, and not too cold on jump altitude (not that you'd notice it, but still)

Otter jump planes have one of two types of seating.
1) benches down each side of the walls where you'll be sitting side to side with others, all facing the middle, touching each other on the sides, and the center aisle is full of everyone's legs.
2) Two rows of foam "benches" running down the inside, one on the left and one on the right, and everyone straddles the bench facing the rear, one leg in the center, one leg against the wall, and you'll be touching each other front to rear, where "rear" means the parachute rig of the guy in front of you.

It is tight. Skydivers are used to it. New guys maybe not. You'll have to judge for yourself how bad it is for you.

Time to altitude runs 15 to 25 minutes depending upon how powerful the engines are that the plane has installed on it, and how high they climb for jump run. Oh, and there might be 5 minutes on the ground from boarding to taxiing to the end of the runway for takeoff.

Best month? Depends on the weather where you are. Summers are hot and sweaty in some places. Winters are too frigid in others. Spring and Fall are usually best, temperature wise.