pchapman

19 Tandem Commandments are dead?

Are the much heralded 19 commandments dead?

For example, a new recurrency chart was to apply to multiple companies, and an online Continuing Education Module was going to be set up. The announcements came out early in 2011.

Did anyone adopt the ideas in any form, whether manufacturers, PIA, or USPA?

The last reference to them I can find is in some July 2011 USPA minutes, where the issue was still being looked at, USPA talking to manufacturers.

While there were some good general ideas in there, there were some changes to some existing procedures.

Are they at all alive, dead, or on a back burner?
(to mix metaphors)

I have been presenting them in Tandem Instructor Training Courses since 2011. They were also presented and distrubuted to Tandem Examiners at the Tandem Examiner Standardization Meeting April 2012.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

The "19 Commandments for Tandem" were introduced (PIA Symposium 2011) by a panel representing the three biggest tandem manufacturers in the USA: Strong, Racer and Sigma.
The "19 Commandments ..." are considered "best business practices" by all the major tandem manufacturers.
I often mention the "19 Commandments" when training new TIs or doing refresher training with returning TIs.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
Racer Tandem Check Pilot
Vector TI
Sigma TI

Are the much heralded 19 commandments dead?

They were never really alive to begin with. You can publish commandments, BSR's, rules, regulations, etc all you want. But until the USPA is given proper "teeth"(example, APF) to enforce said thingys, it's just a waste of time. They will never be anything other than a REactive group dealing with disasters, instead of a PROactive group ensuring rules are followed to prevent said disasters.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

*Yawn*

Is part of these new commandments going to be a way to enforce them?

........................................................................................

Nothing new.
For many years now, any Strong Tandem Examiner had the authority to impose a 30-day suspension on any irresponsible Strong TI.
Once they have completed their investigation, Strong Enterprises can permanently ground the offending TI.
If STrong grounds a TI, they share that confident list with UPT and Jump Shack.
IOW if you are grounded by Strong, you will also be grounded by UPT and Jump Shack.
For example, (five years ago) - while I was earning my Tandem Examiner rating from Strong Enterprises - Tom Noonan got a phone call from an independent TE, who explained that a TI candidate was having difficulty during a Strong Tandem Instructor Certification Course (TICC) and the candidate asked if he would be better trying to earn a Sigma TI rating.
Tom replied: if the candidate cannot pass a Strong TICC, then we will automatically tell UPT that he failed ... ergo he will not be able to earn a Sigma rating either.

The end result was that the candidate re-applied himself to the Strong TICC.

.....any Strong Tandem Examiner had the authority to impose a 30-day suspension on any irresponsible Strong TI.
Once they have completed their investigation, Strong Enterprises can permanently ground the offending TI. .....

Any USPA S&TA can suspend the ratings of a USPA instructor for violations or negligence for 30 days pending the review of a Regional Director....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.