Hiccup

First Tandem Jump next week! help...

Morning all,

Sorry to gatecrash your forum.

After wanting to do a jump for several years i'm finally doing my first Tandem at 10,000 feet next week for a local chartiy that looked after my dad before he passed away. It was always a keen interest of my dads so i'm doing this in memory of him.
Only thing is i am so very very nervous. I wondered if anyone had any coping strategies or words of advice? My fear isn't the actual being in the air but the leaving the plane! I feel sick even thinking about it at the moment and i really don't want ti to ruin the day.

Thank you

Char

One of the things that I like to tell my students that seems to make it set in for them is: You're doing a tandem skydive which in and of itself means that you're strapped to an instructor. Someone who has done this more than once and wants to do it again. The instructor wouldn't be able to have the skill and experience, not to mention choosing to go up for another jump if it was not likely that they would return to jump again.

Maybe that will help put it in perspective. Or just look through the forum at the jump number counts, skydiving is all about about risk mitigation and management.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thank you both, for me it's dealing with exiting the plane. Once i'm in that plane i'm going to be panicking until i'm out of it.... i tend to get heart palpitations when scared so i just hope i can find a way to control these on the day.

Your instructor is going to tell you what you need to do throughout the skydive, including the exit from the plane. Focus your brain on doing what you've been told to do. Think it through on the plane. If you feel yourself getting fluttery, go through what you've been told to do. When you feel more relaxed, go through what you've been told to do. When your instructor is telling you something, focus on your instructor. Focus on the job in hand, not your imagination.

Practice that mental discipline beforehand - find yourself a couple of videos of someone really enjoying their tandem, watch them and think 'I'm going to have as much fun as that'. Then every time you get nervous, make yourself think about those videos and how you're going to have fun like that.

Nervousness is natural but you don't have to let it take charge.
Anne

Watch the horizon on the way up; it should ease you. When you exit there isn't a drop in your stomach like a roller-coaster so there is no need to be worried about that. It is about a 60 second freefall and then a 10-15 minute glide/float back to the ground. That is the most peaceful part. When your instructor pulls down on the toggles the canopy will inflate and go completely quiet. It is amazingly peaceful. You will have a great time.

No need to be nervous. Have fun!

(*disclaimer: I'm pretty new to this so my terminology might not be prefect, but I've done a few tandems to know the experience.)

Thank you! I just hope my body doesn't freeze, I know exiting the plane in the correct way is so important I hope I don't mess it up. Everyone here has been so nice, it really has helped.

Being nervous is all part of the experience. You will be fine and I bet you will want to go again. Even if you do this one jump. its a great adventure enjoy !!
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

With only 5 sleeps to go i'm starting to fret... it has helped listening to everyone on here but i don't think im going to be able to control the nerves on the day... Youtube videos of dives from the centre are helping me, along with the fact that everyone involved in this sport seems to be so kind and helpful!

Considering taking some rescue remedy the night before so i get a good night sleep. Re' eating on the day is a chocolate bar a bad idea? just thinking i could do with keeping my sugars up.

I've been dieting since i signed up for my jump and have lost around 20kg yet im still only 10kg off the maximum weight for the centre i'm jumping at. Having stupid dreams about harnessess failing now! :S

Eat as you normally would the day of your jump, and STAY HYDRATED! People seem to think fasting before they jump so they have an empty stomach is a good idea, its not! If you think a single chocolate bar that day will 'help' you, go for it. One chocolate bar isnt going to kill a diet, but dont just eat sugary stuff. Water water water stay hydrated. It is so easy to foget the basics when you are so amped and excited for something.

As far as the harness breaking, if you are under the limits, it wont. The limits in place are usually a bit less than what the gear can actually support so that way there is no way we are flirting with the actual safety limits. I've seen big TIs take 240-250lb guys skydiving before. Relax, breathe, try to quit worrying, and enjoy the ride. You can drive yourself crazy with what ifs because there is always something that 'could' happen, no matter how unlikely.

I would suggest eating normally. Some carbs, some protein. Nothing too fatty or greasy. Personally, I'd stay away from candy, it doesn't sit in my stomach as well as real food.
As was suggested, stay hydrated.

And don't be "afraid to be afraid." You will be scared. If you aren't, then you are a fool, you don't understand what you are doing or something is seriously wrong with you.
Courage isn't not being afraid in a scary situation, it's being scared and doing it anyway.

And don't worry about the harness. Properly adjusted, you won't fall out. And as long as it's in good condition, the force required to break it is higher than you could survive anyway.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

... As far as the harness breaking, if you are under the limits, it wont. The limits in place are usually a bit less than what the gear can actually support ...

IIRC, passenger weight limits are WAY WAY under what a harness is rated to hold. By, like, several multiples. The forces required to break a harness would kill you.

You're doing one big new thing and that's enough for your body. Keep everything else normal. Eat normally, drink normally. Don't starve yourself. Wear comfortable clothes. Don't rush around, give yourself plenty time.

And keep thinking about those fun videos. The more you expect to have fun, the more you will have enjoyment sitting at the forefront of your brain.
Anne

If you don't normally eat chocolate, then eating chocolate on the day you jump is a bad idea.
Like the other poster advised: stick to your regular diet including lots of water.
If you feel the need to raise your blood sugar level, eat fruit. Fruit sugars will raise your blood sugar half as high, but twice as long. Fruit sugars are far more healthy for your pancreas.

Thank you! I just hope my body doesn't freeze, I know exiting the plane in the correct way is so important

Just keep your mouth shut and you WILL exit. You don't have to do anything. There will be a big shove from behind. :D:D

I tell my students that if the get in the door and say "no-no-no" with all that wind it sounds like "Go-go-go.":P

Seriously, it's very normal to have doubts and be a little scared. Relax and enjoy it. If you're as young and athletic as your picture looks, it'll be a walk in the park. Old and overweight makes it tougher. :)

At 26 age is on my side, weight on the otherhand, perhaps not! haha

Just a couple of things -

First, in terms of the harness failing, that's not going to happen. Even at the weight limit the DZ sets, you are well under the structural limits if the harness. The weight limit is in place for the purpose of harness fitment, and the fact that the instructors have to physically move you around to a degree, and anything beyond the weight limit becomes too much extra work for them. If the DZ will allow you to jump, you are nowhere near breaking a harness.

As far as you fear goes, jumping out of a plane is supposed to be scary, more so if it's your first time. If you are not the first jumper of the day, talk to some of the passengers going up before you before they jump, and see how they feel. Scared, nervous, apprehensive, etc. Then talk to them after their jump and see if any of them regret making the jump, I'm pretty sure the answer will be 'no'.

The fear is part of the deal before you make a jump, and overcoming that fear is part of the deal after the jump. It's a feeling of freedom and accomplishment to be able to do something you weren't sure you could do in the first place.

The harness webbings and connectors are strong to the point of 1000's of # breaking strength, you'll be fine!
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

Hi All,
Ok so i did my first 14,000 skydive on Saturday. After arriving at the centre at 815am in the pouring rain i knew we'd be in for a long day. The waiting around was the worst bit.

Left to go for coffee and after drinking a pint of latte i suddenly thought "hmm this might not be such a good idea!" finally the rain stopped and cloud cover eased up slightly so the jumps began, we were plane number 6 so still a couple more hours to wait... (14 stops to the loo... nerves really get to you huh!) got called up to meet my instructor and after asking how many jumps he'd done i got "well, 2... since the accident... limbs everywhere wasn't good" thankfully he was joking... so i knew i'd be in good hands. Got onto the plane and by this point i was oddly calm... nice smooth journey up....

then the door opened.... and before i had time to realise what was happening, i was out! Was an amazing experience but i have to say freefalling for me was terrifying i found it so hard to get my breath.

I'd like to thank everyone on here, for all the advice, words of support and comfort, i honestly think talking to you all on here gave me so much comfort when it came to the big day.

I've managed to raise £1400 for the hospice that looked after my Dad so i'm extremely proud.

www.justgiving.com/charleneamber

(for anyone that would like to read about it)

thank you all

Char xxx