Frankie84

GoPro Duel Handcam Gloves

the gloves with the step set up works well. an issue i have noticed is the top camera lens can sometimes have a bit of the bottom camera in the frame.it just takes a tiny bit of padding under the top camera. just to be sure, still pics on top, cause you can crop it out.replace the velcro strap every couple hundred jumps...
the lenses are replaced very easy too, in case you bump it and scratch it.

I have the dual GoPro glove that Chuting Star sells and it works great.

Just be aware that the beeping from starting and stopping the still camera can be heard in the video camera. This can get a bit tricky, unless you set the still camera to silent, but then you're not sure if you've started or stopped it.

Not a really a big deal, unless the editor doesn't want to keep deleting dozens of useless pictures.

The plastic over the buttons makes it hard to feel the buttons as you press them. Some people take a hole punch and punch out a few circles of gaffer's tape, then stick them over the buttons.

I just discovered that Walmart sells these small stick-on, rubber feet. They're working great for me, so far. I'm sure the heat of the day could cause the adhesive to slide. We'll see.

For this reason, I really wish the glove had space for the Wifi BacPac, which would allow me to start and stop both cameras with the one remote button, at the same time.

Anyway, it's a great glove. I'm really happy with mine and I recommend it.

I'm looking at getting a dual gopro setup from chuting star for tandem hancam.
I was wondering if anyone had issues with the duel setups, likes and dislikes about them and preference on which make of glove.

I make the dual glove that some of these guys are talking about:
http://www.funjump.com/products.html#Dual

For the last couple years I've been hearing likes/dislikes from customers and I've been taking notes. Many of the desires people expressed have been incorporated into the next generation glove housing, which will be Hero3 specific and should be available around the end of March. You may want to wait and check that one out if you're not in a hurry.

New features include:
- Hard housing to protect the camera better
- rubber buttons that are easy to find with your fingers
- rubber side door, protecting the ports from dust/dirt
- rotatable 360 degrees
- easily removed glass lens cover - takes about 5 seconds
- ability to add backpack modules such as battery extension or LCD

There are a few pics of the final design here:
http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/pivot-pad-glove
The finished version of the dual-cam will be transparent, like the single-cam pics on that page.

Chris

Only one guy has worked for me using this dual setup-- it was cool but the only problem I saw was the bottom camera always resulted in more of the instructor's arm than the student's face.... My other gloves are all singles and were made by a rigger friend.

They have a bracket which stands the camera up off the wrist about 1.5 inches-- GREAT results. But the concept is only practical for one camera. :(

Unfortunately, with shipping, that puts it out of my price range.
And I presume you have no intention of making an old style glove that can accommodate BacPacs for the Hero 2's (like Simon Wade's)?? :(

I made a couple of those old style gloves to accommodate backpacks, but about the time I was ready to finalize that design, the Hero3 body changes were being hinted at, so I dropped it. The good news: If you have one of my old style dual-cam gloves, you can fit a backpack on the bottom camera pretty easily. Just take a serrated edge bread knife and cut off a slice from the bottom part of the foam insert.

Chris

Only one guy has worked for me using this dual setup-- it was cool but the only problem I saw was the bottom camera always resulted in more of the instructor's arm than the student's face.... My other gloves are all singles and were made by a rigger friend.

They have a bracket which stands the camera up off the wrist about 1.5 inches-- GREAT results. But the concept is only practical for one camera. :(

I hear you. No matter what, there's always going to be part of the arm in the shot if the camera is mounted on the hand and a very wide angle lens is used. Really it all boils down to risk of snag hazard vs. quality of video angle. I don't like the idea of cameras on stalks because it makes for an easy wrap point.

TI technique can do a lot to improve the framing for the shots. Also the new style housing is rotatable, so each TI can adjust it to suit him/her better. Here's a sample single-cam video clip from Saturday. The new Hero3 housing was used.
http://youtu.be/88fwiyNtFZw

I think it's a suitable trade-off of safety vs shot quality. The local customers have been happy with their videos. Of course to our eyes, outside videos win out. However, a majority of students appear to prefer having the whole experience caught on the handcam, especially when the audio is clear, like these Hero3's.

Chris

The good news: If you have one of my old style dual-cam gloves, you can fit a backpack on the bottom camera pretty easily. Just take a serrated edge bread knife and cut off a slice from the bottom part of the foam insert.

The bad news: You already suggested that to me and I told you I need the BacPac on both cameras, in order to take advantage of the wifi remote capability.

I was really hoping you would stay in contact with me and let me know when you had such a glove available.

I was really hoping you would stay in contact with me and let me know when you had such a glove available.

Ah, Yep, I dropped the ball on that communication several months ago. Sorry... I didn't recognize you from your DZ.com ID. There was a lot going on at the time and that project was pushed to the side for a while, then put into a box as I got sidetracked. Maybe we can work something out for you on a new glove if you're willing to move to Hero3 cameras, since your desire for backpacks way back in June was part of the reason I included that option in the new housing.

Chris