skyfreek

Aerodyne A2 vs Icarus 365

No, it performs about as well as a Triathlon.....

That isn't fair or true unless it is far out of trim. I will grab the A2 350 off the rack, but it isn't my first choice.

I think they are trimmed to flat. They also have a nasty habit for popping up if you make long slow carving turns on to final. They don't respond well to induced speed.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I was curious on the setup differences of brake line setups between the Icarus canopies and the Aerodyne A2.

I currently use single brake line setups on Icarus 365. No brakes need to be set and it works well. I know there are a number of different double brake line setups as well that you can order.

The A2 as far as I can tell and from info from Aerodyne has one configuration. A double brake line setup that requires both brakes to be set for deployment. I know you can common the 2 brake lines onto one toggle but that would still require extra time/steps to untwist brake lines and set both.

Anyone tried any alternative brake line setups for A2.

depends on the risers. strong risers only have 1 guide ring so brake lines twisting around each other is an issue. UPT risers have 2 guide rings. This keeps the brakes lines from twisting around each other, but each brake line can still twist independently. only real way to avoid twisting all together is to use upt risers and just put both brake lines on 1 toggle. I guess you could add a second guide ring to strong toggles.. They might even make them like that for you if you ask. I never really liked just having 1 brake line on tandems.. My logic is that if you only have 1 break line and it breaks, so do you. If you have 2 brake lines and 1 breaks, you still get some flare. You can still set the brakes properly on either setup with any canopy.

With maintaining the gear at a drop zone which uses single brake line setups I have yet to see a brake line break. We do track the usage on the gear and replace linesets on a schedule. Probably 36-45000 tandems in that time. Yes we do use Strong containers and so the risers are set up for a single ring and if you stick to the manufacturers rules you must use Strong Risers.

If I did have a single brake line break I'm not landing rear risers with a perfectly good reserve on my back and a student on the front. If you're deciding to land with just one brake line on one side (on a double brake line) make sure it's the not just the pickup flare toggle.

If you use the sigma container and risers and the A2 or sigma or any 2 break line canopy with both lines on 1 toggle you will eliminate line twist on the break lines. They each go thru a ring before the toggle so when you let go of the toggle they untwist as the lines go thru the rings. I have set mine up this way for 12+ years and love it.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421