skydived19006

New Tandem Rig Soon to Enter the Market

Yeah after watching that I'm not selling my sigma's any time soon....

You wouldn't believe the stuff they made VERY similar to the SIGMA.

Handle locations, student harness, double toggle, magnetic riser covers...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yeah after watching that I'm not selling my sigma's any time soon....

You wouldn't believe the stuff they made VERY similar to the SIGMA.

Handle locations, student harness, double toggle, magnetic riser covers...

......................................................................................

That is part of an industry-wide trend towards commonality of handle locations.

For example, NEXT handles are similar to Sigma handles.

Parachutes de France's ATOM has the same handles in the same locations as Sigma ... plus a few duplicated handles.
Similarly, Racer Tandem owners have the option of configuring their handles to mostly the same configuration as Sigma.
I have modified a couple dozen Strong Dual Hawks to allow the TI to attach the student's drogue release to the instructor's right leg pad (similar to Sigma). Several of those modified Dual Hawks have passed 8-year inspections at the factory. The factory shipped those modified Dual Hawks back, with the extra plastic buckles still on the instructor's leg pads.
My last conversion - with Strong Ent.'s Chuck McHugh at the PIA Symposium - was about shifting TNT drogue release handles to the same locations as Sigma.

Bottom line, the sooner every tandem manufacturer puts all their handles in the same locations, the better for all of us.

IOW, do you remember when airplane manufacturers agreed on control locations during the 1940s?
Do you remember when motorcycle manufacturers agreed on control locations during the 1960s?
Do you remember when skydiving manufacturers agreed on cutaway and reserve ripcord handles durign the 1980s?
Do you remember when skydiving manufacturers agreed on BOC circa 1990?
Do you remember when AAD manufacturers (Cypres, Astra, Vigil, Agrus, M2 and .. that Russian AAD that is undergoing certification testing) agreed on installations shortly after the turn of the century?
Do you remember when software manufacturers agreed on similar icons circa the turn of the century?

with Strong Ent.'s Chuck McHugh at the PIA Symposium - was about shifting TNT drogue release handles to the same locations as Sigma.

Pretty disappointed with the video interview DSE did with him. When they first started talking about that rig, they were talking about having those handles the same, secondary on the lower left. Didn't see that in the video nor was it talked about, but his comment about handles made it seem as if they were all the same as the current DHT rig.

I have all my primary handles permanently mounted on the I hip location, like it that way better. I think having the secondary on the left would be better, but I would guess Strong would like to keep the cutway drouge release as is rather then change it?
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Is there any info about that tandem rig?
Awesome is not enought :)

This link was posted earlier in this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYDaFvi0SpE&list=UUDly1MGiHPabkVXVPfH7U7w&index=29
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

It's a big Wings. I looked it over, and I am sticking with my SIGMAs.

They have come up with a new RSL similar to the Skyhook for the Plexus and which is available now on new Wings sport rigs and may be back fit to rigs currently in use. That is a good improvement, IMO.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Is there any info about that tandem rig?
Awesome is not enought :)

This link was posted earlier in this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYDaFvi0SpE&list=UUDly1MGiHPabkVXVPfH7U7w&index=29

Interesting video. I looked over the rig over a year ago and never heard anything about the systems for findings cutaway mains or tracking the number of jumps.

I found the rig to be very much like a sigma. The one thing that really stuck out to me was the lack of limiter tape in the drogue... I was never able to get solid reasons for why it was not there or solid reasons as to why it's not being there would be a detriment, in any case I don't know if that's still part of the design.

Personally speaking, I think the rig could find a good home in the marketplace. I'm well aware of the test jumps that have been made and know some of the front riders. It seems solid. I think the rig will differentiate itself on a couple of levels.

1. Price.
2. Rating simplicity.
3. Operational efficiencies (tech built in, leg straps, etc.)

IMHO, if I was a DZO in the market I would be taking a serious look at this product.

My question is, what's up with the TSO? Any ideas as to when this will actually be on the market?

It's a big Wings. I looked it over, and I am sticking with my SIGMAs.

They have come up with a new RSL similar to the Skyhook for the Plexus and which is available now on new Wings sport rigs and may be back fit to rigs currently in use. That is a good improvement, IMO.

A new pin-type MARD (Main Assisted Reserve Deployment) is installed in the Plexus.

I believe so, but am not 100% positive.

It is called Reserve Boost, but I am not sure what it looks like (was not at PIA). I have a set of packing instructions for it on the way.

Maybe Jerry can clarify.

Can be retrofitted for a sport rig by sending your lanyard and reserve bridle to the factory--i.e. cannot be field installed.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Hi 2fly,

Is it Jerry's RAX?

No, but IMO ( yup, I'm biased :P ) it is a variant; it uses the same pin to keep things together ( I think it is the same pin ).

The Boost System does mount entirely on the reserve bridle line.

The Wings container is similar to Javelin & Dolphin in that there is no inner-upper flap; which is what the RAX System would have to be mounted upon. The RAX System ( as I developed it ) is very similar to the flap arrangement that a SkyHook mounts on.

Early on the folks at Wings did some work with using the RAX System, but that effort died when the project leader moved on to work for another company. Their efforts, at that time, were to modify the RAX System to mount onto the reserve bridle & the reserve free bag.

My thinking ( and it is only my thinking ) is that they wanted a system in which they would not have to add an inner-upper flap to the container. It would seem to me that they just kept working on the idea until they came up with their Boost System.

Just my thoughts on this; and they are worth what you paid for them.

JerryBaumchen

PS) However, three other companies left the Symposium with info on the RAX System or mockups of the RAX System. The ones who did not get a mockup at the Symposium were supplied with mockups after I returned home. One company has advised me that they will begin testing of the RAX System on their rigs soon. The two others have not provided any updates as of today.

The RAX System is currently being used by ParaTec in Germany in their military rigs; and by SkyWideSystems in Ukraine on their military & sport rigs.

PPS) And let us not forget that the original idea & design of the RAX System was the work of Kelly Farrington.

"... The Wings container is similar to Javelin ... in that there is no inner-upper flap ..."

The newest Javelins have an extra inner-upper flap, where their Skyhooks are mounted.

Hi Rob,

"... The Wings container is similar to Javelin ... in that there is no inner-upper flap ..."

The newest Javelins have an extra inner-upper flap, where their Skyhooks are mounted.

You are absolutely correct. I simply failed to make/take notice of that little factoid.

[:/]

JerryBaumchen

you are right....
I specially changed my mind for Tandem rides….I think it is a lesser evil in Tandem, specially with the Tandem reactive canopies coming in the market.The MARD put pretty much the reserve right where the main just was (of course if you cutaway with the main still in the bag, this last one will probably hit the just inflated reserve but without big damage on videos I have done so far) .The MARD help to yield beautifully straight and even line groups at line stretch.With a simple RSL, a pilot chute always deploys your reserve with the relative wind. This becomes a very important difference when the pair breakaway from a spinning malfunction. Without the MARD, the pair must "be stable" at the reserve opening time, this is a situation you are not sure to occur in a tandem configuration with the stress of cutting away, a chance the pilot does not grab the passenger legs like it is asked in the books….and the possibility the pilot chute does not work properly (burble or delay), while the pair tries to align bodies into the relative wind to make it is safe to deploy the reserve, without an angle to they do not risk entanglement with the deploying reserve, or having "unequal" reserve line lengths at line stretch, risking a spinning reserve opening with line twists. Even if with a spinning main malfunction due to reactive new canopies, you still have a chance to rotate under the reserve with a MARD, at the end I think the MARD is worth for tandem use only…